Eosinophilic Esophagitis Through the Flexible Endoscope and the Lens of a Photographer in the Amazon
Eosinophilic esophagitis (EoE) is a disorder that has been identified recently, thus knowledge about it, its pathogenesis, and potential etiologies has spread in an era where the medical community and the public are receiving the information and discussing it as it appears in the medical literature. Because physiology, pathology, and pathophysiology are difficult to explain in layman terms, the author has used photographs taken in remote areas of the Amazon to create visual similes within a narrative that brings the scientific and medical concepts of the knowledge on EoE to a level that allows both medical and non-medical persons to grasp and discuss their significance. This set of photographs when presented to audiences has generated interest in the disorder as well as in the Amazon and its natural flora and fauna. The author hopes that this pictorial introduction sets the stage for the multiple novel topics reviewed and presented in this issue.
KeywordsEosinophilic esophagitis Eosinophils Mast cells Macrophages Interleukin 5 Eotaxin Allergens Diet Amazon Anaconda Camen Piranha Dart frog
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflicts of Interest
The author declares that she has no conflict of interest.
Ethical Approval and Informed Consent
There were no ethical approvals or informed consents needed for this type of work.
- 1.Liacouras CA, Furuta GT, Hirano I, Atkins D, Attwood SE, Bonis PA, Burks AW, Chehade M, Collins MH, Dellon ES, Dohil R, Falk GW, Gonsalves N, Gupta SK, Katzka DA, Lucendo AJ, Markowitz JE, Noel RJ, Odze RD, Putnam PE, Richter JE, Romero Y, Ruchelli E, Sampson HA, Schoepfer A, Shaheen NJ, Sicherer SH, Spechler S, Spergel JM, Straumann A, Wershil BK, Rothenberg ME, Aceves SS (2011) Eosinophilic esophagitis: updated consensus recommendations for children and adults. J Allergy Clin Immunol 128(1):3–20 e6; quiz 1–2. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaci.2011.02.040 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 2.Assa’ad AH, Putnam PE, Collins MH, Akers RM, Jameson SC, Kirby CL, Buckmeier BK, Bullock JZ, Collier AR, Konikoff MR, Noel RJ, Guajardo JR, Rothenberg ME (2007) Pediatric patients with eosinophilic esophagitis: an 8-year follow-up. J Allergy Clin Immunol 119(3):731–738. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaci.2006.10.044 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 4.Blanchard C, Wang N, Stringer KF, Mishra A, Fulkerson PC, Abonia JP, Jameson SC, Kirby C, Konikoff MR, Collins MH, Cohen MB, Akers R, Hogan SP, Assa’ad AH, Putnam PE, Aronow BJ, Rothenberg ME (2006) Eotaxin-3 and a uniquely conserved gene-expression profile in eosinophilic esophagitis. J Clin Invest 116(2):536–547. https://doi.org/10.1172/JCI26679 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 5.Assa'ad AH, Gupta SK, Collins MH, Thomson M, Heath AT, Smith DA, Perschy TL, Jurgensen CH, Ortega HG, Aceves SS (2011) An antibody against IL-5 reduces numbers of esophageal intraepithelial eosinophils in children with eosinophilic esophagitis. Gastroenterology 141(5):1593–1604. https://doi.org/10.1053/j.gastro.2011.07.044 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 7.Henderson CJ, Abonia JP, King EC, Putnam PE, Collins MH, Franciosi JP, Rothenberg ME (2012) Comparative dietary therapy effectiveness in remission of pediatric eosinophilic esophagitis. J Allergy Clin Immunol 129(6):1570–1578. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaci.2012.03.023 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 8.Alexander ES, Martin LJ, Collins MH, Kottyan LC, Sucharew H, He H, Mukkada VA, Succop PA, Abonia JP, Foote H, Eby MD, Grotjan TM, Greenler AJ, Dellon ES, Demain JG, Furuta GT, Gurian LE, Harley JB, Hopp RJ, Kagalwalla A, Kaul A, Nadeau KC, Noel RJ, Putnam PE, von Tiehl KF, Rothenberg ME (2014) Twin and family studies reveal strong environmental and weaker genetic cues explaining heritability of eosinophilic esophagitis. J Allergy Clin Immunol 134(5):1084–92 e1. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaci.2014.07.021 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 9.Sleiman PM, Wang ML, Cianferoni A, Aceves S, Gonsalves N, Nadeau K, Bredenoord AJ, Furuta GT, Spergel JM, Hakonarson H (2014) GWAS identifies four novel eosinophilic esophagitis loci. Nat Commun 5:5593. https://doi.org/10.1038/ncomms6593