Antibodies to Citrullinated Vimentin are a Specific and Sensitive Marker for the Diagnosis of Rheumatoid Arthritis
- 194 Downloads
The last 5 years have seen the emergence and establishment of antibodies to citrullinated antigens as the diagnostic marker for rheumatoid arthritis (RA). Initially, these were detected using a synthetic peptide, which has undergone a number of modifications to give a diagnostic test with a sensitivity of 65–80% and a specificity of >95%. Antibodies to citrullinated vimentin were first described in 1994 as a highly specific marker for RA (anti-Sa). However, no easily performed assay for these antibodies has been available.
We have examined the use of a ELISA-based assay with a mutated citrullinated vimentin (MCV) antigen (Orgentec, Mainz, Germany) to assess the diagnostic and prognostic utility of this antibody in RA.
Antibodies to MCV were detected in the sera of 74% RA patients (specificity 96%), 2% systemic lupus erythematosus, 14% Sjögren’s syndrome, and 2% scleroderma. Anti-MCV was not detected in sera from healthy blood donors. There was no difference in the frequency of antibodies detected in RA patients with early (<2 years) or chronic (>2 years) disease. There was no significant variation in anti-MCV antibody concentrations in early RA patients over a 52-week period. No significant change was observed with time between the two treatment groups of methotrexate alone or methotrexate plus infliximab.
Antibodies to MCV are a specific and sensitive marker for the diagnosis of RA.
KeywordMutated citrullinated vimentin Anti-MCV Autoantibodies Rheumatoid arthritis
- 24.Vannini A, Cheung K, Fusconi M et al (2006) Ann Rheum Dis (published online http://ard.bmj.com/cgi/content/abstract/ard.2006.058933v1)
- 37.Bang H, Lûthke K, Gauliard A et al (2006) Ann Rheum DIs 65(Suppl II):144 (Abstract)Google Scholar
- 38.Lakos G, Soos L, Szabo Z et al (2006) Abstract THU0118, EULARGoogle Scholar
- 39.Klotz W, Dejaco C, Larcher H et al (2006) Abstract FRI0050, EULARGoogle Scholar
- 40.Brickmann KP, Yazdani-Biuki BJ, Graninger M et al (2006) Abstract SAT0431, EULARGoogle Scholar
- 42.Hassfeld WG, Vinje O, König K et al (2006) Abstract FR10513, EULARGoogle Scholar
- 43.Brickmann K, Yazdani-Biuki BJ, Mûller T et al (2006) Abstract AB0492, EULARGoogle Scholar
- 44.Egerer K, Bang H, Gauliard A et al (2006) Poster presented at EULARGoogle Scholar