Vanadium Compounds as Biocatalyst Models
- 24 Downloads
Peroxidovanadium(V) and oxidovanadium(IV) compounds have been tested as peroxidase-similar compounds. Their catalytic performance was tested on phenol red and pyrogallol substrates. Bromination kinetic studies revealed Michaelis-Menten behavior with respect to phenol red for both complexes. Catalytic efficiency is ~ 104 M−1 min−1. Both vanadium complexes showed the capacity to oxidize pyrogallol, but only the oxidovanadium (IV) complex follows Michaelis-Menten kinetics with respect to this substrate (Km = 1.05 × 10-3 M). Peroxidovanadium(V) complex displayed a more complex mechanism, and further studies became necessary to elucidate it. The structure-activity relationship was also assessed.
KeywordsVanadium complexes Biocatalyst models Peroxidase-similar activity Phenol red Pyrogallol
This work was supported by the Consejo Nacional de Investigaciones Científicas y Técnicas (CONICET, PIP 0611), Agencia Nacional de Promoción Científica y Tecnológica (ANPCyT, PICT16-1814), and Universidad Nacional de La Plata (UNLP, X777) of Argentina. EGF is a Research Fellow of CONICET. JEP and PAMW are Research Fellows of Comisión de Investigaciones Científicas de la Provincia de Buenos Aires (CICPBA) Argentina.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of Interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 3.Sutradhar M, Martins LMDRS, Guedes da Silva MFC, Pombeiro AJL (2015) Coord Chem Rev 215:301–302 200-239Google Scholar
- 4.Parente JE, Naso LG, Jori K, Franca CA, da Costa FAM, Williams PAM, Ferrer EG (2019) In vitro experiments and infrared spectroscopy analysis of acid and alkaline phosphatases inhibition by vanadium complexes. New J Chem. https://doi.org/10.1039/C9NJ01638D
- 6.Das C, Adak P, Mondal ST, Sekiya R, Kuroda R, Gorelsky SI, Chattopadhyay SK (2014) Synthesis, characterization, x-ray crystal structure, DFT calculations, and catalytic properties of a dioxidovanadium(V) complex derived from oxamohydrazide and pyridoxal: a model complex of vanadate-dependent bromoperoxidase. Inorg Chem 53:11426–11437CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Martini N, Parente JE, D’ Alessandro F, Rey M, Rizzi A, Williams PAM, Ferrer EG (2019) Potential bio-protective effect of copper compounds: mimicking SOD and peroxidases enzymes and inhibiting acid phosphatase as a target for anti-osteoporotic chemotherapeutics. Mol Biol Rep 46:867–885CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Chen C, Sun Q, Ren D-X, Zhang R, Bai F-Y, Xing Y-H, Shi Z (2013) Bromoperoxidase mimic as catalysts for oxidative bromination-synthesis, structures and properties of the diversified oxidation state of vanadium (III, IV and V) complexes with pincer N-heterocycle ligands. CrystEngComm 15:5561–5573CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Li Z-P, Xing Y-H, Wang C-G, Li J, Cao Y-Z, Zeng X-Q, Ge M-F, Niu S-Y (2009) Haloperoxidaselike compounds: synthesis, structure and properties of two new oxidovanadiumpoly (pyrazolyl)boratecarboxylate complexes. Z Anorg Allg Chem 635:2601–2607Google Scholar
- 15.Zhao H-Y, Zhang Y-H, Xing Y-H, Li Z-P, Cao Y-Z, Ge M-F, Zeng X-Q, Niu S-Y (2009) A series of oxo-vanadium (IV) complexes containing mixed ligands of poly (pyrazolyl) borate and organic carboxylic acid: synthesis, structural characterization and primary study of bromination reaction activities. Inorg Chim Acta 362:4110–4118CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 19.Zhang R, Liu J, Chen C, Xing Y-H, Guan Q-L, Hou Y-N, Wanga X, Zhang X-X, Bai F-Y (2013) Synthesis, structures and properties of the catalytic bromination reaction of a series of novel scorperate oxidovanadium complexes with the potential detection of hydrogen peroxide in water. Spectrochim. Acta Part A: Mol Biomol Spectrosc 115:476–482CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 21.Zhang R, Zhang X-X, Bai F-Y, Chen C, Guana Q-L, Hou Y-N, Wang X, Xing Y-H (2015) Dinuclear vanadium complexes with rigid phenylpolycarboxylate ligands: synthesis, structure, and catalytic bromination reaction with potential detection of hydrogen peroxide. J Coord Chem 68:1613–1628Google Scholar
- 25.Maurya MR, Uprety B, Avecilla F (2016) Dioxidomolybdenum(VI) complexes of tripodal tetradentate ligands for catalytic oxygen atom transfer between benzoin and dimethyl sulfoxide and for oxidation of pyrogallol. Eur J Inorg Chem 4802-4813Google Scholar