Mineral Composition of Amazonian Fruits by Flame Atomic Absorption Spectrometry Using Multivariate Analysis
- 70 Downloads
This study aimed to evaluate the mineral composition in native and non-native Amazonian fruits using flame atomic absorption spectrometry (FAAS) and multivariate methods, such as principal component analysis (PCA) and hierarchical cluster analysis (HCA), in order to conduct a more thorough evaluation of the original data. The accuracy was checked by certified reference material analysis (Poplar leaves) and spike experiments. The results of the analysis were in agreement with the certified values, with analytical recoveries for all analytes in an acceptable range from 82 to 113%, and relative standard deviations (RSD) were in the range of 0.2–18%. Furthermore, PCA explained 68% of the total variance, while HCA confirmed the correlations found in the PCA, allowing for the evaluation of the degree of similarity between the fruits studied. These results will be used to better understand the distribution of inorganic constituents within these Amazonian fruits.
KeywordsFruits Amazonian Inorganic constituents Flame atomic absorption spectrometry Multivariate analysis
The Coordenação de Aperfeiçoamento de Pessoal de Nível Superior (CAPES) provided the fellowship to Bianca S. F. Alves. Research funding was also from Fundação Amazônia de Amparo a Estudos e Pesquisas do Pará (FAPESPA) and Conselho Nacional de Desenvolvimento Científico e Tecnológico (CNPq).
Compliance with Ethical Standards
This article does not contain any studies with human participants performed by any of the authors.
Conflicts of Interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 1.Shanley P, Serra M, Medina G (2011) Fruit trees and useful plants in Amazonian life. FAO, CIFOR and PPI. http://www.fao.org/docrep/015/i2360e/i2360e.pdf. Accessed 14 October 2017
- 2.Nascente AS, Neto CR (2005) O agronegócio da fruticultura na Amazônia: um estudo exploratório. Embrapa, RondôniaGoogle Scholar
- 9.Yuyama LKO, Aguiar JPL, Macedo SHM, Gioia T, Yuyama K, Fávaro DIT, Afonso C, Vasconcellos MBA, Cozzolino SMF (1997) Determinação dos teores de elementos minerais em alimentos convencionais e não convencionais da região Amazônica pela técnica de análise por ativação com neutrôns instrumental. Acta Amaz 27:183–196CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Fiorini LS (2008) Dossiê: os minerais na alimentação. Food Ingred 4:48–65Google Scholar
- 15.Alzahrani HR, Kumakli H, Ampiah E, Mehari T, Thornton AJ, Babyak CM, Fakayode SO (2016) Determination of macro, essential trace elements, toxic heavy metal concentrations, crude oil extracts and ash composition from Saudi Arabian fruits and vegetables having medicinal values. Arab J of Chem 10(7):906–913CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.Mingoti SA (2005) Análise de Dados através de Métodos de Estatística Multivariada. UFMG, Minas GeraisGoogle Scholar
- 17.Beebe KR, Pell RJ (1998) Seasholtz, M.B. Chemometrics: a practical guide. John Wiley & Sons, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 19.Hair JF, Tathan RL, Anderson RE (2005) Analise multivariada de dados. Bookman, Porto AlegreGoogle Scholar
- 22.Sobukola OP, Adeniran OM, Odedairo AA, Kajihausa OE (2010) Heavy metal levels of some fruits and leafy vegetables from selected markets in Lagos, Nigeria. African J Food Sci 4:389–393Google Scholar
- 26.Food and Nutrition Board, Institute of Medicine (1997) Dietary reference intakes for calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, vitamin D, and fluoride. htpp://www.nap.edu. Accessed 14 October 2017
- 27.Food and Nutrition Board, Institute of Medicine (2001) Dietary reference intakes for vitamin A, vitamin K, arsenic, boron, chromium, copper, iodine, iron, manganese, molybdenium, nickel, silicon, vanadium, and zinc. htpp://www.nap.edu. Accessed 14 October 2017
- 28.Food and Nutrition Board, Institute of Medicine (2005) Dietary reference intakes for water, Potassium, Sodium, Chroride, and Sulfate htpp://wwwnapedu Accessed 14 October 2017
- 31.Tabela Brasileira de Composição de Alimentos (TACO) (2011). NEPA-UNICAMP, Campinas. https://www.unicamp.br/nepa/taco/contar/taco_4_edicao_ampliada_e_revisada. Accessed 14 October 2017