Zinc and Insulin Resistance: Biochemical and Molecular Aspects
- 366 Downloads
Studies have shown the participation of minerals in mechanisms involved in the pathogenesis of insulin resistance. Zinc, in particular, seems to play an important role in the secretion and action of this hormone. Therefore, the aim of this review is to understand the role of zinc in increasing insulin sensitivity. We conducted a search of articles published in the PubMed and ScienceDirect database selected from March 2016 to February 2018, using the keywords “zinc,” “insulin,” “insulin resistance,” “insulin sensitivity,” and “supplementation.” Following the eligibility criteria were selected 53 articles. The scientific evidences presented in this review show the importance of zinc and their carrier proteins in the synthesis and secretion of insulin, as well as in the signaling pathway of action of this hormone. Zinc deficiency is associated with glucose intolerance and insulin resistance; however, the effectiveness of the intervention with the zinc supplementation is still inconclusive.
KeywordsZinc Insulin resistance Insulin sensitivity Insulin secretion Supplementation
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of Interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 1.Abruzzese GA, Cerrrone GE, Gamez JM, Graffigna MN, Belli S, Lioy G, Mormandi E, Otero P, Levalle O, Motta A (2016) Lipid accumulation product (LAP) and visceral adiposity index (VAI) as markers of insulin resistance and metabolic associated disturbances in young argentine women with polycystic ovary syndrome. Horm Metab Res 49:23–29. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0042-113463 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 2.Andrade GC, Fujise LH, Filho SJE, Oliveira F, Silva RC (2016) Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) in different populations: a clinical and epidemiological study–sample of São José do Rio Preto. Rev Assoc Med Bras 62:2018–2226Google Scholar
- 8.Kelishadi R, Hashemipour M, Adeli K, Tavakoli N, Movahedian-Attar A, Shapouri J, Poursafa P, Rouzbahani A (2010) Effect of zinc supplementation on markers of insulin resistance, oxidative stress, and inflammation among prepubescent children with metabolic syndrome. Metab Syndr Relat Disord 8:505–510CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 15.Cooper-Capetini V, Vasconcelos DAA, Martins AR, Hirabara SM, Donato Jr. J, Carpinelli AR et al (2017) Zinc supplementation improves glucose homeostasis in high fat-fed mice by enhancing pancreatic-cell function Nutrients 9(10): 1150Google Scholar
- 22.Cai Y, Kirschke CP, Huang L (2018) SLC30A family expression in the pancreatic islets of humans and mice: cellular localization in the β-cells. J Mol Histol 2018:25Google Scholar
- 27.Fukunaka A, Suzuki T, Kurokawa Y, Yamazaki T, Fujiwara N, Ishihara K, Migaki H, Okumura K, Masuda S, Yamaguchi-Iwai Y, Nagao M, Kambe T (2009) Demonstration and characterization of the heterodimerization of ZnT5 and ZnT6 in the early secretory pathway. J Biol Chem 284:30798–30806CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 29.Smidt K, Jessen N, Petersen AB, Larsen A, Magnusson N, Jeppesen JB, Stoltenberg M, Culvenor JG, Tsatsanis A, Brock B, Schmitz O, Wogensen L, Bush AI, Rungby J (2009) SLC30A3 responds to glucose- and zinc variations in beta-cells and is critical for insulin production and in vivo glucose-metabolism during beta-cell stress. PLoS One 4:e5684CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 50.Islam MR, Attia J, Ali L, McEvoy M, Selim S, Sibbritt D, Akhter A, Akter S, Peel R, Faruque O, Mona T, Lona H, Milton AH (2016) Zinc supplementation for improving glucose handling in pre-diabetes: a double blind randomized placebo controlled pilot study. Diabetes Res Clin Pract 115:39–46CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 51.Payahoo L, Ostadrahimi A, Mobasseri M, Bishak YH, Jafarabadi MA (2014) Effect of zinc supplementation on serum leptin level and insulin sensitivity in obese people. Trace Elem Electroly 31(1/2014):27–32Google Scholar