Analysis of Platinum and Trace Metals in Treated Glioma Rat Cells by X-Ray Fluorescence Emission
- 215 Downloads
So far, reports in the literature indicate a superior effectiveness of anticancer treatments using drug liposome-encapsulated. In this work, the influence of cisplatin associated with lipid vesicles (liposomes) is studied. Possible induced changes in the elemental composition, distribution, and concentration inside F98 glioma cells are investigated by synchrotron X-ray fluorescence (SXRF) and particle-induced X-ray emission (PIXE), combined with backscattering spectrometry (BS). SXRF at nanometer spatial resolution provides information on the two-dimension variation of elements inside the cells, while PIXE and BS allow the determination of the elemental concentration at μg g−1 level. In comparison with dead cells, the elemental analysis shows that both platinum and zinc contents decrease in surviving samples. Moreover, higher levels of calcium and lower levels of potassium are revealed in dead cells, especially in those treated with liposomal cisplatin. These findings would mean that liposome-treated cells died mainly by apoptosis. Although further analyses are still necessary, the results presented in this work suggest that the lipid vesicles could provide, thus, a methodology for an effective platinum administration.
KeywordsPIXE SXRF Cisplatin Liposomes
The authors would like to thank at the ESRF, SPIRIT, and AIFIRA for their financial and technical support.
- 4.Wang D, Lippard SJ (2005) Cellular processing of platinum anticancer drugs. Nature 4:307–320Google Scholar
- 6.Stölting DP, Borrmann M, Koch M, Wiese M, Royer HD, Bendas G (2014) How liposomal cisplatin overcomes chemoresistance in ovarian tumor cells. Anticancer Res 1:525–30Google Scholar
- 8.Hamilton A, Biganzoli L, Coleman R, Mauria L, Henneber P, Awada A, Nooji M, Beex L, Piccart M, Van Hoorebeeck I, Bruning P, De Valeriola D (2002) EORTC 10968: a phase I clinical and pharmacokinetic study of polyethylene glycol liposomal doxorubicin (Caelyx®, Doxil®) at a 6-week interval in patients with metastatic breast cancer. Annal Oncol 13:910–918CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Chang DK, Li PC, Lu RM, Jane WN, Wu HC (2013) Peptide-mediated liposomal Doxorubicine enhances drug delivery efficiency and therapeutic efficacy in animal models. PLOS 8:1–12Google Scholar
- 16.Chen KG, Valencia JC, Lai B, Zhang G, Paterson JK, Rouzaud F, Berens W, Wincovitch SM, Garfield SH, Leapman RD, Hearing VJ, Gottesman MM (2006) Melanosomal sequestration of cytotoxic drugs contributes to the intractability of malignant melanomas. PNAS 103:9903–9907PubMedCentralPubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.Shimura M, Saito A, Matsuyama S, Sakuma T, Terui Y, Ueno K, Yumoto H, Yamauchi K, Yamamura K, Mimura H, Sano Y, Yabashi M, Tamasaku K, Nishio K, Nishino Y, Endo K, Hatake K, Mori Y, Ishizaka Y, Ishikawa T (2005) Element array by scanning X-ray fluorescence microscopy after cis-diamminedichloro-platinum(II) treatment. Cancer Res 65:4998–5002PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 18.Roudeau S, Carmona A, Perrin L, Ortega R (2014) Correlative organelle fluorescence microscopy and synchrotron X-ray chemical element imaging in single cells. Anal Bioanal Res doi: 10.1007/s00216-014-8004-4
- 24.Mayer M. SIMNRA User’s Guide. Report IPP 9/113, (1997) Max-Planck-Institut für Plasmaphysik, Garching, GermanyGoogle Scholar
- 25.Martinez-Criado G, Tucoulou R, Cloetens P, Bleuet P, Bohic S, Cauzid J, Kieffer I, Kosior E, Labouré S, Petitgirard S, Rack A, Sans JA, Segura-Ruiz J, Suhonen H, Susini J, Vilanova J (2012) Status of the hard X-ray microprobe beamline ID22 of the European Synchrotron Radiation Facility. J Synchrotron Radiat 19:10–18PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 28.Serrano FA, Matsuo AL, Monteforte PT, Bechara A, Smaili SS, Santana DP, Rodrigues T, Pereira FV, Silva LS, Machado J Jr, Santos EL, Pesquero JB, Martins RM, Travassos LR, Caires ACF, Rodrigues EG (2011) A cyclopalladated complex interacts with mitochondrial membrane thiol-groups and induces the apoptotic intrinsec pathway in murine and cisplatin-resistant human tumor cells. BMC Cancer 11:296–311PubMedCentralPubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 33.Ortega R, Cloetens P, Deves G, Carmona A, Bohic S (2007) Iron storage within dopamine neurovesicles revealed by chemical nano-imaging. PloS ONE 2:e925Google Scholar