Enhanced Production of 6-(N-Hydroxyethyl)-Amino-6-Deoxy-α-L-Sorbofuranose by Immobilized Gluconobacter oxydanson Corn Stover with a pH Control Strategy in a Bubble Column Bioreactor
- 207 Downloads
6-(N-Hydroxyethyl)-amino-6-deoxy-α-L-sorbofuranose (6NSL) is a key intermediate in the synthesis of miglitol. Biotransformation of N-2-hydroxyethyl glucamine (NHEG) to 6NSL was performed by immobilized Gluconobacter oxydans, which was prepared by cultivating the cells in a home-made bubble column bioreactor where corn stover particles were loaded. The optimal carrier addition and aeration rate for 6NSL production by immobilized cells in the bioreactor were determined to be 25 g/L and 2.5 vvm respectively. The supplementation of NH4Cl was conducive to the biotransformation of NHEG and was performed by adding aqueous ammonia and HCl, which was taken as the pH controlling agents as well. An optimal pH control strategy using the mixture of aqueous ammonia and NaOH was applied, resulting in a 9.9% increased production of 6NSL, while repeated batches of biotransformation increased from three times to four times. Finally, the 6NSL concentration and the conversion rate of NHEG to 6NSLreached 44.2 ± 1.5 g/L and 88.4 ± 2.0%, respectively, in average after four cycles of biotransformation under the optimized condition.
Keywords6-(N-Hydroxyethyl)-amino-6-deoxy-α-L-sorbofuranose Gluconobacter oxydans Cell immobilization Corn stover Biotransformation
This study was funded by the National Major Project of Scientific Instruments Development of China (2012YQ15008713), granted from the Ministry of Science and Technology of PR China.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of Interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 2.Grabner RoyW., Bryan H.Landis, Ping TuWang, Michael Lee Prunier and Scaros, M. G. (1999) Salt forms of 6-(N-hydroxyethyl)-amino-6-deoxy-α-l-sorbofuranose. US Patent 6552176B2.Google Scholar
- 3.GrabnerRoy W., Bryan H.Landis, Mike G.Scaros and Rutter, R. J. (1992) Process for producing N-Substituted polyhydroxy nitrogen-containing heterocycles utilizing Acetobacteraceae and Corynebacterium. US Patent 5401645.Google Scholar
- 4.Ke, X., Wang, N. N., Yu, P. H., Lu, Y. H., Hu, Z. C., & Zheng, Y. G. (2018). Biosynthesis of miglitol intermediate 6-(N-hydroxyethyl)-amino-6-deoxy-alpha-L-sorbofuranose by an improved D-sorbitol dehydrogenase from Gluconobacter oxydans. 3 Biotech, 8(5), 231.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 5.Hu, Z. C., Tian, S. Y., Ruan, L. J., & Zheng, Y. G. (2017). Repeated biotransformation of glycerol to 1,3-dihydroxyacetone by immobilized cells of Gluconobacter oxydans with glycerol- and urea-feeding strategy in a bubble column bioreactor. Bioresource Technology, 233, 144–149.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 6.Wei, L. J., Zhou, J. L., Zhu, D. N., Cai, B. Y., Lin, J. P., Hua, Q., & Wei, D. Z. (2012). Functions of membrane-bound alcohol dehydrogenase and aldehyde dehydrogenase in the bio-oxidation of alcohols in Gluconobacter oxydans DSM 2003. Biotechnology and Bioprocess Engineering, 17(6), 1156–1164.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Zhou, X., Xu, Y., & Yu, S. Y. (2016). Simultaneous bioconversion of xylose and glycerol to xylonic acid and 1,3-dihydroxyacetone from the mixture of pre-hydrolysates and ethanol-fermented waste liquid by Gluconobacter oxydans. Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology, 178(1), 1–8.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 8.Zhu, J. J., Rong, Y. Y., Yang, J. L., Zhou, X., Xu, Y., Zhang, L. L., Chen, J. H., Yong, Q., & Yu, S. Y. (2015). Integrated production of xylonic acid and bioethanol from acid-catalyzed steam-exploded corn stover. Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology, 176(5), 1370–1381.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 9.Hanke, T., Richhardt, J., Polen, T., Sahm, H., Bringer, S., & Bott, M. (2012). Influence of oxygen limitation, absence of the cytochrome bc(1) complex and low pH on global gene expression in Gluconobacter oxydans 621H using DNA microarray technology. Journal of Biotechnology, 157(3), 359–372.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 10.Yang, X. P., Wei, L. J., Lin, J. P., Yin, B., & Wei, D. Z. (2008). Membrane-bound pyrroloquinoline quinone-dependent dehydrogenase in Gluconobacter oxydans M5, responsible for production of 6-(2-hydroxyethyl) amino-6-deoxy-L-sorbose. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 74(16), 5250–5253.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 12.Wang, D. H. (2010) Breeding of high-activity sorbitol dehydrogenase in Gluconobacter oxydans and biocatalatic-chemical synthesis of miglitol. PhD thesis, Northwest University, Xi’an, CHN.Google Scholar
- 13.Su, W. W., Wu, X. G., Chen, D. J., & Xia, H. Z. (2007). Biotransformation of 6-(N-hydroxyethyl)amino-6-deoxy-L-sorbofuranose by immobilized Gluconobacter oxydans. Journal of Shenyang Pharmaceutical University, 24(2), 118–122.Google Scholar
- 14.Zhang, J. B., Zhang, X. L., Wang, D. H., Zhao, B. X., & He, G. (2011). Biocatalytic regioselective oxidation of N-hydroxyethyl glucamine for synthesis of miglitol. Advanced Materials Research, 197-198(21), 51–55.Google Scholar
- 16.Li, M. H., Wu, J. A., Liu, X., Lin, J. P., Wei, D. Z., & Chen, H. (2010). Enhanced production of dihydroxyacetone from glycerol by overexpression of glycerol dehydrogenase in an alcohol dehydrogenase-deficient mutant of Gluconobacter oxydans. Bioresource Technology, 101(21), 8294–8299.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 21.Cai, D., Li, P., Chen, C., Wang, Y., Hu, S., Cui, C., Qin, P., & Tan, T. (2016). Effect of chemical pretreatments on corn stalk bagasse as immobilizing carrier of Clostridium acetobutylicum in the performance of a fermentation-pervaporation coupled system. Bioresource Technology, 220, 68–75.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 27.Onyeaka, H., Nienow, A. W., & Hewitt, C. J. (2003). Further studies related to the scale-up of high cell density Escherichia coli fed-batch fermentations: the additional effect of a changing microenvironment when using aqueous ammonia to control pH. Biotechnology and Bioengineering, 84(4), 474–484.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 34.Geißler, T., Abánades, A., Heinzel, A., Mehravaran, K., Müller, G., Rathnam, R. K., Rubbia, C., Salmieri, D., Stoppel, L., & Stückrad, S. (2016). Hydrogen production via methane pyrolysis in a liquid metal bubble column reactor with a packed bed. Chemical Engineering Journal, 299, 192–200.CrossRefGoogle Scholar