Cultivation of Chlorella vulgaris in Dairy Wastewater Pretreated by UV Irradiation and Sodium Hypochlorite
- 734 Downloads
There is potential in the utilization of microalgae for the purification of wastewater as well as recycling the resource in the wastewater to produce biodiesel. The large-scale cultivation of microalgae requires pretreatment of the wastewater to eliminate bacteria and protozoa. This procedure is costly and complex. In this study, two methods of pretreatment, UV irradiation, and sodium hypochlorite (NaClO), in various doses and concentrations, were tested in the dairy wastewater. Combining the efficiency of biodiesel production, we proposed to treat the dairy wastewater with NaClO in the concentration of 30 ppm. In this condition, The highest biomass productivity and lipid productivity of Chlorella vulgaris reached 0.450 g L−1 day−1 and 51 mg L−1 day−1 after a 4-day cultivation in the dairy wastewater, respectively.
KeywordsDairy Wastewater Chlorella vulgaris UV Irradiation Sodium Hypochlorite Pretreatment Large-Scale Cultivation
The authors are grateful for the support of the National Key Technology R&D Program of the 12th Five-year Plan of China (Grant No. 2011BAD14B03), the National High Technology Research and Development Program of China (Grant No. 2013AA065803), the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant No. 31100189), the Open Project of Jiangsu Key Laboratory for Biomass-based Energy and Enzyme Technology (Grant No. JSBEET1223), and the State Key Laboratory of Freshwater Ecology and Biotechnology (Grant No. 2013FB14).
- 1.Du, Y., Wang, Y., Peng, G., Su, Z., Xu, M., Feng, W., et al. (2011). Reducing COD and BOD, as well as producing triacylglycerol by LDS5 grown in CTMP effluent. Bioresources, 6(3), 3505–3514.Google Scholar
- 3.Ghasemi, Y., Rasoul-Amini, S., Naseri, A. T., Montazeri-Najafabady, N., Mobasher, M. A., & Dabbagh, F. (2012). Microalgae biofuel potentials (review). Prikladnaia Biokhimiia i Mikrobiologiia, 48(2), 150–168.Google Scholar
- 7.Zhu, L., Wang, Z., Shu, Q., Takala, J., Hiltunen, E., Feng, P., et al. (2013). Nutrient removal and biodiesel production by integration of freshwater algae cultivation with piggery wastewater treatment. Bioresource Technology, 47(13), 4294–4302.Google Scholar
- 19.Kawachi, M., & Noël, M. H. (2005). Sterilization and sterile technique in algal culturing techniques. Amsterdam: Elsevier Academic Press.Google Scholar
- 25.Woertz, I. (2007). Lipid productivity of Algae grown on dairy wastewater as a possible feedstock for Biodiesel. California Polytechnic University pp. 57–58.Google Scholar
- 32.Converti, A., Casazza, A. A., Ortiz, E. Y., Perego, P., & Del Borghi, M. (2009). Effect of temperature and nitrogen concentration on the growth and lipid content of Nannochloropsis oculata and Chlorella vulgaris for biodiesel production. Chemical Engineering and Processing Process Intensification, 48(6), 1146–1151.CrossRefGoogle Scholar