Effect of warming and buffering lidocaine on pain during facial anesthesia
- 16 Downloads
In a double-blind study, room-temperature lidocaine was injected randomly into 1 eyelid of 40 patients during facial anesthesia. The other eyelid of the same eye received injection of warm lidocaine (group 1) or bicarbonate-buffered lidocaine (group 2). Based on a pain scale, warming or buffering lidocaine did not significantly reduce the amount of infiltration pain. Buffering lidocaine was effective in reducing the quality of pain, as judged by the patient's report of dominant pain.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Morris RW, Whish DKM. A controlled trial of pain on skin infiltration with local anaesthetics. Anesth Intensive Care. 1984;12:113–114.Google Scholar
- 4.Gormly DE. Local anesthesia: pain control with proper injection technique. J Dermatol Surg Oncol. 1987;13:35–36.Google Scholar
- 6.Davidson JA, Boom SJ. Warming lignocaine to reduce pain associated with injection. Br Med J. 1992;305:617–618.Google Scholar
- 9.Krause M, Weindler J, Ruprecht KW. Does warming of anesthetic solutions improve analgesia and akinesia in retrobulbar anesthesia? Ophthalmology. 1997;3:429–432.Google Scholar
- 10.Kaplan PA, Lieberman PE, Vonk BM. Does heating lidocaine decrease the pain of injection? Am J Radiol. 1987;149:1291.Google Scholar
- 12.Knapp H. On cocaine and its use in ophthalmic and general surgery. Arch Ophthalmol. 1884;13:402–448.Google Scholar
- 13.Krohn J, Hovdig G, Seland H, Aasved, H. Retrobulbar anaesthesia with and without adrenaline in extracapsular cataract surgery. Acta Ophthalmol. 1995;73:56–60.Google Scholar
- 14.Boggia R. Heating local anaesthetic cartridges. Br Dent J. 1967; 122:287.Google Scholar
- 16.Cragg AH, Berbaum K, Smith TP. A prospective blinded trial of warm and cold lidocaine for intra-dermal injection. AJR. 1988;148: 651.Google Scholar
- 19.Mehta PM, Theriot E, Mehrotra D, Patel K, Kimball BG. A simple technique to make bupivacaine a rapid acting epidural anaesthetic. Reg Anaesth. 1987;12:135–137.Google Scholar