Influence of the Solarus AB reflector geometry and position of receiver on the output of the concentrating photovoltaic thermal collector
- 2 Downloads
The main goal of the paper is to study, model and characterize suitable designs for a concentrating PVT collector at different locations on the globe to optimise the power at the receiver without cost penalties of the overall system. The power output and the number of photons collected in the receiver of the solar collector is analysed in details with respect to the time of the year, the inclination angle of the collector and also the hourly variation of the day. With standard MaReCo simulations are performed at Lisbon, Gävle and Delhi. It has been found that with a little orientation change in the system for lower latitude places, the performance of MaReCo improved further. Four new solar collector models, modified MaReCo with receiver at the focus, parabolic collector with receiver at side edge, parabolic collectors with vertical receiver at the middle, parabolic collector with horizontal receiver at the focus are introduced, and simulations are performed at Nairobi and Lisbon. The parabolic collector with side edge receiver is found to be the best suitable collector at the equatorial region for all the season.
KeywordsMaReCo Parabolic collectors Inverted orientation
The authors acknowledge support of the Instituto de Telecomunicações through the project UID/EEA/50008/2019.
- 1.Campos, C.S., Torres, J.P.N., Fernandes, J.F.P.: Effects of the heat transfer fluid selection on the efficiency of a hybrid concentrated photovoltaic and thermal collector. Energies 2019, 12 (1814)Google Scholar
- 9.Fernandes, C.A.F., Torres, J.P.N., Gomes, J., Costa Branco, P.J., Nashih, S.K.: Stationary solar concentrating photovoltaic-thermal collector—cell string layout. In: IEEE International Power Electronics and Motion Control Conference (PEMC), pp. 1275–1282 (2016)Google Scholar
- 10.Gomes, J., Luc, B., Carine, G., Fernandes, C.A.F., Torres, J.P.N., Olsson, O., Costa Branco, P.J., Nashih, S.K.: Analysis of different C-PVT reflector geometries. In: IEEE International Power Electronics and Motion Control Conference (PEMC), pp. 1248–1255 (2016)Google Scholar
- 11.Alves, Pedro, Fernandes, João, Torres, João, Branco, Paulo, Fernandes, Carlos, Gomes, João: Energy efficiency of a PV/T collector for domestic water heating installed in Sweden or in Portugal: the impact of heat pipe cross-section geometry and water flowing speed. Sol. Energy 188, 96–110 (2019)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Adsren, M.: Solar thermal collectors at high altitudes-Design and performance of non-tracking concentrators. Acta Universitatis Upsaliensis. Comprehensive Summaries of Uppasala Dissertations from the Faculty of Science and Technologies 697. 78 pp. Uppasala, 2002. ISBN 91-554-5274-4Google Scholar