Stratification of Standardized TKA Complications and Adverse Events: A Brief Communication
- First Online:
- 480 Downloads
The Total Knee Arthroplasty (TKA) Complications Workgroup of the Knee Society developed a standardized list and definitions of complications associated with TKA. Twenty-two complications and adverse events believed important for reporting outcomes of TKA were identified. The Editorial Board of Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research®, the Executive Board of the Knee Society, and the members of the Knee Society TKA Complications Workgroup came to the conclusion that reporting of a list of TKA adverse events and complications would be more valuable if they were stratified using a validated classification system.
The purpose of this article was to stratify the previously published standardized list of TKA adverse events and complications.
A modified version of the Sink adaptation of the Clavien-Dindo Surgical Complication Classification was applied to the list of standardized TKA complications and adverse events.
The proposed stratified classifications of TKA complications were reviewed and endorsed by the Knee Society.
Stratification of TKA complications will allow more in-depth and detailed outcome reporting for surgeons, hospitals, third-party payers, government agencies, joint replacement registries, and orthopaedic researchers. This improvement in reporting of TKA complications will also improve the quality of orthopaedic literature.
- 1.Chun YS, Vauthey JN, Ribero D, Donadon M, Mullen JT, Eng C, Madoff DC, Chang DZ, Ho L, Kopetz S, Wei SH, Curley SA, Abdalla EK. Systemic chemotherapy and two-stage hepatectomy for extensive bilateral colorectal liver metastases: perioperative safety and survival. J Gastrointest Surg. 2007;11:1498–1504; discussion 1504–1505.Google Scholar
- 2.Clavien PA, Barkun J, de Oliveira ML, Vauthey JN, Dindo D, Schulick RD, de Santibanes E, Pekolj J, Slankamenac K, Bassi C, Graf R, Vonlanthen R, Padbury R, Cameron JL, Makuuchi M. The Clavien-Dindo classification of surgical complications: five year experience. Ann Surg. 2009;250:187–196.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.DeOliveira ML, Winter JM, Schafer M, Cunningham SC, Cameron JL, Yeo CJ, Clavien PA. Assessment of complications after pancreatic surgery: a novel grading system applied to 633 patients undergoing pancreaticoduodenectomy. Ann Surg. 2006;244:931–937; discussion 937–939.Google Scholar
- 11.Reddy SK, Morse MA, Hurwitz HI, Bendell JC, Gan TJ, Hill SE, Clary BM. Addition of bevacizumab to irinotecan-and oxaliplatin-based preoperative chemotherapy regimens does not increase morbidity after resection of colorectal liver metastases. J Am Coll Surg. 2008;206:96–106.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Reddy SK, Pawlik TM, Zorzi D, Gleisner AL, Ribero D, Assumpcao L, Barbas AS, Abdalla EK, Choti MA, Vauthey JN, Ludwig KA, Mantyh CR, Morse MA, Clary BM. Simultaneous resections of colorectal cancer and synchronous liver metastases: a multi-institutional analysis. Ann Surg Oncol. 2007;14:3481–3491.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Seda-Neto J, Godoy AL, Carone E, Pugliese V, Fonseca EA, Porta G, Pugliese R, Miura IK, Baggio V, Kondo M, Chapchap P. Left lateral segmentectomy for pediatric live-donor liver transplantation: special attention to segment IV complications. Transplantation. 2008;86:697–701.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar