CORR Insights™: High Infection Rate Outcomes in Long-bone Tumor Surgery with Endoprosthetic Reconstruction in Adults: A Systematic Review
- 278 Downloads
Where Are We Now?
Prosthetic infection is the bane of limb preservation surgery and sadly is not a major focus of research. Infection rates in double-digit percentages are reported routinely, in distinction to the microscopically low rates reported for conventional reconstructive surgery. The well-recognized reasons are legion: possible immune compromise of patients with cancer, malnutrition, large bone and soft tissue defects, long operative time, frequent red blood cell and platelet transfusions, neutropenia from postoperative chemotherapy, and frequent bacteremia from the use of indwelling central venous catheters, among others. Lack of accurate data plagues the field. For example, Consumer Reports  and the Leapfrog Group have highlighted that major academic medical centers including the 2012–2013 US News and World Report  number one ranked cancer center (University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas, USA) and orthopaedic hospital (Hospital for Special...
KeywordsCentral Venous Catheter Soft Tissue Defect Orthopaedic Oncology Prosthetic Infection Musculoskeletal Tumor Society
- 1.Consumer Reports.org. Deadly infections: how good is your hospital at preventing them? Available at: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2012/12/deadly-infections/index.htm. Accessed February 17, 2013.
- 2.Ghert M, Deheshi B, Holt G, Randall RL, Ferguson P, Wunder J, Turcotte R, Werier J, Clarkson P, Damron T, Benevenia J, Anderson M, Gebhardt M, Isler M, Mottard S, Healey J, Evaniew N, Racano A, Sprague S, Swinton M, Bryant D, Thabane L, Guyatt G, Bhandari M; PARITY Investigators. Prophylactic antibiotic regimens in tumour surgery (PARITY): protocol for a multicentre randomised controlled study. BMJ Open. 2012;2(6). pii: e002197.Google Scholar
- 5.McMullen L. U.S. News Ranks Best Hospitals 2012–2013. July 16, 2012. Available at: http://health.usnews.com/health-news/best-hospitals/articles/2012/07/16/us-news-ranks-best-hospitals-2012-13. Accessed February 21, 2013.
- 6.Racano A, Pazionis T, Farrokhyar F, Deheshi B, Ghert M. High infection rate outcomes in long-bone tumor surgery with endoprosthetic reconstruction in adults: a systematic review. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2013 Feb 12. [Epub ahead of print].Google Scholar
- 7.Stewart S, Barr S, Engiles J, Hickok NJ, Shapiro IM, Richardson DW, Parvizi J, Schaer P. Vancomycin-modified implant surface inhibits biofilm formation and supports bone-healing in an infected osteotomy model in sheep: a proof-of-concept study. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2012;94:1406–1415.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar