- 1.7k Downloads
Open fractures usually are high-energy injuries. This, along with the exposure of bone and deep tissue to the environment, leads to increased risk of infection, wound complications, and nonunion [12, 28, 31]. Antibiotics, surgical débridement, and internal fixation have improved outcomes of open fracture management in important ways, but the underlying principles for treating open fractures have remained the same since World War I: primary asepsis, adequate debridement, immobilization, and protection of wounds against disturbance and reinfection [25, 26].
Despite the overall improvement in outcome after open fractures, the variable outcomes among different patterns of open fractures with differing severities prompted the development of grading systems that classify them based on increasing severity of the associated soft tissue injuries. These grading systems seek to help guide treatment, improve communication and research, and predict outcome. Such classifications have been in...
KeywordsOpen Fracture Soft Tissue Injury Soft Tissue Coverage Type IIIB Soft Tissue Envelope
- 1.Aro HT, Govender S, Patel AD, Hernigou P, Perera de Gregorio A, Popescu GI, Golden JD, Christensen J, Valentin A. Recombinant human bone morphogenetic protein-2: a randomized trial in open tibial fractures treated with reamed nail fixation. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2011;93:801–808.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Gosselin RA, Roberts I, Gillespie WJ. Antibiotics for preventing infection in open limb fractures. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2004:(1)CD003764.Google Scholar
- 15.Govender S, Csimma C, Genant HK, Valentin-Opran A, Amit Y, Arbel R, Aro H, Atar D, Bishay M, Borner MG, Chiron P, Choong P, Cinats J, Courtenay B, Feibel R, Geulette B, Gravel C, Hass N, Raschke M, Hammacher E, van der Velde D, Hardy P, Holt M, Josten C, Ketterl RL, Lindeque B, Lob G, Mathevon H, McCoy G, Marsh D, Miller R, Munting E, Oevre S, Nordsletten L, Patel A, Pohl A, Rennie W, Reynders R, Rommens PM, Rondia J, Rossouw WC, Daneel PJ, Ruff S, Ruter A, Santavirta S, Schildhauer TA, Gekle C, Schnettler R, Segal D, Seiler H, Snowdowne RB, Stapert J, Taglang G, Verdonk R, Vogels L, Weckbach A, Wentzensen A, Wisniewski T; BMP-2 Evaluation in Surgery for Tibial Trauma (BESST) Study Group. Recombinant human bone morphogenetic protein-2 for treatment of open tibial fractures: a prospective, controlled, randomized study of four hundred and fifty patients. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2002;84:2123–2134.Google Scholar
- 19.Horn BD, Rettig ME. Interobserver reliability in the Gustilo and Anderson classification of open fractures. J Trauma. 1993;7:357–360.Google Scholar
- 28.Pollak AN, Jones AL, Castillo RC, Bosse MJ, MacKenzie EJ; LEAP Study Group. The relationship between time to surgical debridement and incidence of infection after open high-energy lower extremity trauma. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2010;92:7–15.Google Scholar