A New Zero-profile Implant for Stand-alone Anterior Cervical Interbody Fusion
- 698 Downloads
Several studies suggest fusion rates are higher with anterior cervical discectomy and fusion procedures if supplemented with a plate. However, plates may be associated with higher postoperative morbidity and higher rates of dysphagia. This led to the development of a cervical stand-alone cage with integrated fixation for zero-profile segmental stabilization.
We asked whether this new implant would be associated with a low rate of dysphagia and other short-term complications in patients having anterior cervical discectomy and fusion and would be able to achieve solid fusion and maintain postoperative reduction in pain.
We prospectively followed 38 patients with radiculopathy/myelopathy undergoing anterior cervical discectomy and fusion using the new implant. Intraoperative parameters, clinical features (Neck Pain Disability Index, visual analog scale score for neck/arm pain, Odom’s criteria), and dysphagia scores were recorded. Radiographs were taken to assess implant failure. Thirty-four patients had a minimum 6 months’ followup (mean, 8 months; range, 6–11 months).
Three patients at 6 weeks and one patient at 6 months complained about minor dysphagia-related symptoms. There was no hardware failure recordable and all patients had evidence of fusion. Compared to preoperatively, visual analog scale pain score and Neck Pain Disability Index were reduced at 6 weeks’ followup without change during further followup.
The new cervical stand-alone anterior fusion device allows decompression and fusion with low complication rates. The incidence of chronic postoperative dysphagia was infrequent in comparison to published data. Prospective randomized trials with more patients and longer followup are necessary to confirm these observations.
Level of Evidence
Level IV, therapeutic study. See Guidelines for Authors for a complete description of levels of evidence.
- 3.Bazaz R, Lee MJ, Yoo JU. Incidence of dysphagia after anterior cervical spine surgery: a prospective study. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2002;27:2453–2458.Google Scholar
- 7.Cain CM, Schleicher P, Gerlach R, Pflugmacher R, Scholz M, Kandziora F. A new stand-alone anterior lumbar interbody fusion device: biomechanical comparison with established fixation techniques. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2005;30:2631–2636.Google Scholar
- 10.Fountas KN, Kapsalaki EZ, Nikolakakos LG, Smisson HF, Johnston KW, Grigorian AA, Lee GP, Robinson JS. Anterior cervical discectomy and fusion associated complications. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2007;32:2310–2317.Google Scholar
- 13.Herzberger EE, Chandler A, Bear NE, Kindschi LG. Anterior interbody fusion in the treatment of certain disorders of the cervical spine. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1962;24:83–93.Google Scholar
- 23.Pitzen TR, Chrobok J, Stulik J, Ruffing S, Drumm J, Sova L, Kucera R, Vyskocil T, Steudel WI. Implant complications, fusion, loss of lordosis, and outcome after anterior cervical plating with dynamic or rigid plates: two-year results of a multi-centric, randomized, controlled study. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2009;34:641–646.Google Scholar
- 24.Riley LH 3rd, Skolasky RL, Albert TJ, Vaccaro AR, Heller JG. Dysphagia after anterior cervical decompression and fusion: prevalence and risk factors from a longitudinal cohort study. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2005;30:2564–2569.Google Scholar
- 26.Sasso RC, Ruggiero RA Jr, Reilly TM, Hall PV. Early reconstruction failures after multilevel cervical corpectomy. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2003;28:140–142.Google Scholar
- 30.Scholz M, Reyes PM, Schleicher P, Sawa AG, Baek S, Kandziora F, Marciano FF, Crawford NR. A new stand-alone cervical anterior interbody fusion device: biomechanical comparison with established anterior cervical fixation devices. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2009;34:156–160.Google Scholar
- 31.Smith-Hammond CA, New KC, Pietrobon R, Curtis DJ, Scharver CH, Turner DA. Prospective analysis of incidence and risk factors of dysphagia in spine surgery patients: comparison of anterior cervical, posterior cervical, and lumbar procedures. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2004;29:1441–1446.Google Scholar
- 32.Song KJ, Taghavi CE, Lee KB, Song JH, Eun JP. The efficacy of plate construct augmentation versus cage alone in anterior cervical fusion. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2009;34:2886–2892.Google Scholar
- 37.Yang JY, Song HS, Lee M, Bohlman HH, Riew KD. Adjacent level ossification development after anterior cervical fusion without plate fixation. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2009;34:30–33.Google Scholar
- 39.Zdeblick TA, Ducker TB. The use of freeze-dried allograft bone for anterior cervical fusions. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 1991;16:726–729.Google Scholar