The Global Burden of Musculoskeletal Injuries: Challenges and Solutions
- 744 Downloads
Musculoskeletal injuries are a major public health problem globally, contributing a large burden of disability and suffering. This burden could be considerably lowered by implementation of affordable and sustainable strategies to strengthen orthopaedic trauma care, especially in low- and middle-income countries. This article summarizes the global burden of musculoskeletal injuries and provides several examples of successful programs that have improved care of injuries in health facilities in low- and middle-income countries. Finally, it discusses WHO efforts to build on the country experiences and to make progress in lowering the burden of musculoskeletal injuries globally.
KeywordsTrauma Care Musculoskeletal Injury World Health Assembly Prehospital Trauma Trauma Care System
- 2.Arreola-Risa C, Mock C, Vega F, Romero Hicks E, Guzman Solana F, Porras G, Montiel G, de Boer M. Evaluating trauma care capabilities in Mexico with the World Health Organization’s Guidelines for Essential Trauma Care. Pan Am J Public Health. 2006;19:94–103.Google Scholar
- 5.Chardbunchachai W, Suppachutikul A, Santikarn C. Development of Service System for Injury Patients by Utilizing Data from the Trauma Registry (ISBN: 974-294-569-1). Khon Kaen, Thailand: Office of Research and Textbook Project, Khon Kaen Hospital; 2002.Google Scholar
- 6.Fort M, Mercer M, Gish O. Sickness and Wealth. Cambridge, MA: South End Press; 2004.Google Scholar
- 10.Mock C, Lormand JD, Goosen J, Joshipura M, Peden M. Guidelines for Essential Trauma Care. Geneva, Switzerland: WHO; 2004.Google Scholar
- 15.Peden M, Scurfield R, Sleet D, Mohan D, Hyder A, Jarawan E, Mathers C. World Report on Road Traffic Injury Prevention. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization; 2004.Google Scholar
- 16.Quansah R, Mock C, Abantanga F. Status of trauma care in Ghana. Ghana Med J. 2004;38:149–152.Google Scholar
- 18.Sasser S, Varghese M, Kellermann A, Lormand J. Prehospital Trauma Care Systems. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization; 2005.Google Scholar
- 21.World Health Organization. The Burden of Musculoskeletal Conditions at the Start of the New Millennium, Report of a WHO Scientific Group, WHO Technical Report Series 919. Geneva, Switzerland: WHO; 2003.Google Scholar
- 22.World Health Organization. Global burden of disease project 2002. Available at: http://www.who.int/healthinfo/bodproject/en/index.html. Accessed July 28, 2008.
- 23.World Health Organization. Integrated management of emergency and essential surgical care (IMEESC) tool kit. Available at: http://www.who.int/surgery/publications/imeesc/en/index.html. Accessed December 3, 2007.
- 24.World Health Organization. Surgical Care at the District Hospital. Geneva, Switzerland: WHO; 2003.Google Scholar