PATCHED-ONE or SMOOTHENED Gene Mutations Are Infrequent in Chondrosarcoma
- 128 Downloads
Constitutive hedgehog signaling has been implicated in the tumorigenesis of cartilaginous neoplasia; however, a common mutational mechanism remains unknown. Some tumors exhibiting hedgehog pathway activation such as basal cell cancer frequently harbor PATCHED-ONE (PTCH-1) or SMOOTHENED (SMO) gene mutations. We therefore asked whether mutations of the hedgehog receptor genes PTCH-1 or SMO occur in cartilage tumors. Single-strand conformation polymorphism (SSCP) analysis with subsequent manual sequencing was performed to detect alterations of PTCH-1 and SMO in 46 cartilage tumors. SSCP detected five shifts in the PTCH-1 gene and two shifts in SMO. Direct DNA sequencing revealed the five shifts in PTCH-1 were caused by silent nucleotide alterations. The two SMOshifts were the result of the same missense mutation (783G>A) and occurred in one dedifferentiated chondrosarcoma and a synovial chondromatosis. The patient with chondromatosis also carried this same mutation in the...
KeywordsChondrosarcoma Hedgehog Signaling Hedgehog Pathway Synovial Chondromatosis Hedgehog Signaling Pathway
We thank Nalan Gokgoz for expert technical assistance.
- 5.Hahn H, Wicking C, Zaphiropoulous PG, Gailani MR, Shanley S, Chidambaram A, Vorechovsky I, Holmberg E, Unden AB, Gillies S, Negus K, Smyth I, Pressman C, Leffell DJ, Gerrard B, Goldstein AM, Dean M, Toftgard R, Chenevix-Trench G, Wainwright B, Bale AE. Mutations of the human homolog of Drosophila patched in the nevoid basal cell carcinoma syndrome. Cell. 1996;85:841–851.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 29.Silve C, Juppner H. Ollier disease. Orphanet J Rare Dis. 2006;1:37:1–6.Google Scholar
- 33.Toftgard R, Chenevix-Trench G, Dean M. PTCH mutation database. Available at: www.cybergene.se/cgi-bin/w3-msql/ptchbase/index.html. Accessed December 28, 2007.
- 35.Unden AB, Holmberg E, Lundh-Rozell B, Stähle-Bäckdahl M, Zaphiropoulos PG, Toftgård R, Vorechovsky I. Mutations in the human homologue of Drosophila patched (PTCH) in basal cell carcinomas and the Gorlin syndrome: different in vivo mechanisms of PTCH inactivation. Cancer Res. 1996;56:4562–4565.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 38.Wicking C, Shanley S, Smyth I, Gillies S, Negus K, Graham S, Suthers G, Haites N, Edwards M, Wainwright B, Chenevix-Trench G. Most germ-line mutations in the nevoid basal cell carcinoma syndrome lead to a premature termination of the PATCHED protein, and no genotype-phenotype correlations are evident. Am J Hum Genet. 1997;60:21–26.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 39.Williams JA, Guicherit OM, Zaharian BI, Xu Y, Chai L, Wichterle H, Kon C, Gatchalian C, Porter JA, Rubin LL, Wang FY. Identification of a small molecule inhibitor of the hedgehog signaling pathway: effects on basal cell carcinoma-like lesions. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2003;100:4616–4621.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar