Global Protein-expression Analysis of Bone and Soft Tissue Sarcomas
- 166 Downloads
Analysis of global protein expression, an approach known as expression proteomics, can offer important clues for understanding tumor biology that cannot be obtained by other approaches (e.g., genome or transcriptome analysis). Using two-dimensional difference gel electrophoresis (2D-DIGE) and mass spectrometry, we performed global protein expression studies of bone and soft tissue sarcomas to develop novel diagnostic and therapeutic biomarkers and allow molecular classification of the tumors. Among 1500 protein variants identified in the two-dimensional gel, 67 proteins correctly distinguished the eight subtypes of 99 histologically classified soft tissue sarcomas. Hierarchical clustering demonstrated leiomyosarcoma and MFH shared a similar protein expression profile, and clear cell sarcoma, synovial sarcoma, and MPNST could be grouped according to their protein expression patterns. Pleomorphic leiomyosarcoma and MFH showed similar tropomyosin isoform expression patterns. Patients with gastrointestinal stromal tumors expressing pfetin protein had better survival than those whose tumors lacked it. We identified 10 protein spots associated with the chemosensitivity of osteosarcoma to preoperative chemotherapy. These 10 spots could be new diagnostic and prognostic markers for osteosarcoma and new therapeutic targets for the disease. Proteomic analysis using 2D-DIGE provides novel information on the biology of bone and soft tissue sarcomas that could be used to diagnosis and treat these tumors.
Level of Evidence: Level II, diagnostic study. See the Guidelines for Authors for a complete description of levels of evidence.
KeywordsOsteosarcoma Soft Tissue Sarcoma Protein Spot Synovial Sarcoma Malignant Peripheral Nerve Sheath Tumor
We thank Robert Nakayama, Eisuke Kobayashi, and Ako Hosono for helpful and stimulating discussions and Misuzu Mori for technical assistance.
- 1.Bacci G, Ferrari S, Delepine N, Bertoni F, Picci P, Mercuri M, Bacchini P, Brach del Prever A, Tienghi A, Camandone A, Campanacci M. Predictive factors of histologic response to primary chemotherapy in osteosarcoma of the extremity: study of 272 patients preoperatively treated with high-dose methotrexate, doxorubicin, and cisplatin. J Clin Oncol. 1998;16:658-663.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 8.Goodman VL, Rock EP, Dagher R, Ramchandani RP, Abraham S, Gobburu JVS, Booth BP, Verbois SL, Morse DE, Liang CY, Chidambaram N, Jiang JX, Tang S, Mahjoob K, Justice R, Pazdur R. Approval summary: sunitinib for the treatment of imatinib refractory or intolerant gastrointestinal stromal tumors and advanced renal cell carcinoma. Clin Cancer Res. 2007;13:1367–1373.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Grier HE, Krailo MD, Tarbell NJ, Link MP, Fryer CJH, Pritchard DJ, Gebhardt MC, Dickman PS, Perlman EJ, Meyers PA, Donaldson SS, Moore S, Rausen AR, Vietti TJ, Miser JS. Addition of ifosfamide and etoposide to standard chemotherapy for Ewing’s sarcoma and primitive neuroectodermal tumor of bone. N Engl J Med. 2003;348:694–701.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Guillou L, Coindre JM, Bonichon F, Bui NB, Terrier P, Collin F, Vilain MO, Mandard AM, Doussal VL, Leroux A, Jacquemier J, Duplay H, Sastre-Garau X, Costa J. Comparative study of the National Cancer Institute and French Federation of Cancer Centers Sarcoma Group grading systems in a population of 410 adult patients with soft tissue sarcoma. J Clin Oncol. 1997;15:350–362.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 24.Ladanyi M. Fusions of the SYT and SSX genes in synovial sarcoma. Oncogene. 2001;5755–5762.Google Scholar
- 25.Lee YF, John M, Edwards S, Clark J, Flohr P, Maillard K, Edema M, Baker L, Mangham DC, Grimer R, Wooster R, Thomas JM, Fisher C, Judson I, Cooper CS. Molecular classification of synovial sarcomas, leiomyosarcomas and malignant fibrous histiocytomas by gene expression profiling. Br J Cancer. 2003;88:510–515.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 29.Mintz MB, Sowers R, Brown KM, Hilmer SC, Mazza B, Huvos AG, Meyers PA, LaFleur B, McDonough WS, Henry MM, Ramsey KE, Antonescu CR, Chen W, Healey JH, Daluski A, Berens ME, MacDonald TJ, Gorlick R, Stephan DA. An expression signature classifies chemotherapy-resistant pediatric osteosarcoma. Cancer Res. 2005;65:1748–1754.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 36.Rosen G, Caparros B, Huvos AG, Kosloff C, Nirenberg A, Cacavio A, Marcove RC, Lane JM, Mehta B, Urban C. Preoperative chemotherapy for osteogenic sarcoma: selection of postoperative adjuvant chemotherapy based on the response of the primary tumor to preoperative chemotherapy. Cancer. 1982;15:1221–1230.CrossRefGoogle Scholar