Some complementary scratch resistance characterization methods
- 160 Downloads
In the characterization of mar/scratch resistance of coatings/materials with single-probe techniques, the probe usually scrapes the tested surface under a constant load or increasing load, followed by dimensional measurements of the scratch, identification of the critical force at which cracking/fracture occurs, or evaluation with optical instruments. Due to a variety of coatings/materials properties and various application requirements, the single-probe method may not provide pertinent characterization of coatings/materials in their applications in some cases. Three complementary test methods are presented in this article: i.e., a crack density measurement used for fragile thermoplastic olefin (TPO), a repeated scratching test, and a cross-scratching test used for glazing materials for automobile windows.
KeywordsAtomic force microscopy dynamic mechanical properties hardness scratch resistance surface analysis adhesion chip resistance mechanical properties physical properties automotive-OEM coatings-substrate interface plastics
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- (2).Shen, W., Ji, C., Jones, F.N., Everson, M.P., and Ryntz, R.A., “Measuring Scratch Resistance and Microhardness of Crosslinked Coatings with a Scanning Force Microscope,” Polym. Mater. Sci. Eng., 74, 346 (1996).Google Scholar
- (3).Shen, W., Ji, C., Jones, F.N., Everson, M.P., and Ryntz, R.A., “Measurement by Scanning Force Microscopy of the Scratch and Mar Resistance of Surface Coatings,” Surf. Coat. Int., 79 (6), 253 (1996).Google Scholar
- (28).Wichterman, B. and Welland, W., “Scratch Damage and Behavior of Painted and Mold-in-Color Interior Materials Using a New Test Methodology,” Conference Proceedings, SPE Automotive TPO Global Conference, Dearborn, MI, October 3–6, 2005.Google Scholar
- (29).Welland, W., Ryntz, R., and Witchterman, B., “Paint vs. Mold-in-Color: Damage Resistance in Interior Applications,” Conference Proceedings, SPE Automotive TPO Global Conference, Dearborn, MI, October 3–6, 2005.Google Scholar
- (30).Lin, L., Blackman, G.S., and Matheson, R.R., in Microstructure and Micotribology of Polymer Surface, Tsukruk, V.V. and Wahl, K.J. (Eds.), published by The American Chemical Society, Chapter 27, 1999.Google Scholar
- (32).Courter, J.L. and Kamenetzky, E.A., “Creative Advances in Coating Technology,” presented at the 5th Nurnberg Congress, Nurnberg, Germany, April 1999.Google Scholar