The Effects of Ultrasound Treatment and Nano-zinc Oxide Coating on the Physiological Activities of Fresh-Cut Kiwifruit
- 910 Downloads
This study evaluated the efficacy of ultrasound treatment and nano-zinc oxide (ZnO) coating individually and in combination in preserving the quality of fresh-cut kiwifruit. The nano-ZnO coating solution was prepared by mixing the ZnO nanoparticles in premixed chitosan–acetic acid solution. The fresh-cut kiwifruit were dipped in NaClO solution (50 μL L−1 sodium, control), subjected to ultrasound treatment (40 KHz, 350 W, 10 min), or coated with nano-ZnO solution. The fresh-cut kiwifruit samples were also subjected to combined ultrasound treatment and nano-ZnO coating. All of these test samples were stored at 4 °C for 10 days. The effects of these treatments on the quality parameters such as the production of carbon dioxide and ethylene, mass loss, and flesh firmness were investigated. At the end of storage, the combination treatments with ultrasound treatment at 40 KHz with 1.2 g L−1 nano-ZnO coating showed lower production of ethylene (1.86 μL kg−1 h−1) and carbon dioxide (10.01 mg kg−1 h−1), water loss (0.46 %), and texture (7.87 N). Hence, it was concluded that the combination of ultrasound treatment with nano-ZnO coating is a promising approach to extend the shelf-life of fresh-cut kiwifruit.
KeywordsNano-ZnO coating Ultrasound treatment Shelf-life Fresh cut Kiwifruit
This research was financially supported by National Natural Science Foundation of China (no. 30972058). The authors also like to acknowledge the State Key Laboratory of Food Science and Technology (Jiangnan University) and School of Food Science and Technology (Jiangnan University) for permitting the use of their processing and analytical facilities.
- Ahammed, H. A. M., Jayakumar, S., & Vaideki, K. (2010). Use of zinc oxide nano particles for production of antimicrobial textiles. Science and Technology, 2(1), 202–208.Google Scholar
- Ahmed, L., Martin-Diana, A. B., Rico, D., & Barry-Ryan, C. (2012). Quality and nutritional status of fresh-cut tomato as affected by spraying of delactosed whey permeate compared to industrial washing treatment. Food and Bioprocess Technology, 5, 3103–3114. doi: 10.1007/s11947-011-0623-6.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Aydin Sevinç, B., & Hanley, L. (2010). Antibacterial activity of dental composites containing zinc oxide nanoparticles. Journal of Biomedical Materials Research. Part B, Applied Biomaterials, 94(1), 22–31.Google Scholar
- Emamifar, A., Kadivar, M., Shahedi, M. & Soleimanian-Zad, S. (2010). Evaluation of nanocomposite packaging containing Ag and ZnO on shelf life of fresh orange juice. Innovative Food Science & Emerging Technologies, 11(4), 742–748.Google Scholar
- He, W., An, X., & Guo, W. (2008). Effects of ultrasonic wave and pretreatment solution on storage of cut chrysanthemum “Lvhuanghou”. Journal of Jiangsu Forestry Science & Technology, 35(4), 11–16.Google Scholar
- Lepot, N., Bael, M. K. V., Rul, H. V. D., Haen, J. D., Peeters, R., Franco, D., et al. (2010). Influence of incorporation of ZnO nanoparticles and biaxial orientation on mechanical and oxygen barrier properties of polypropylene films for food packaging applications. Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 120(3), 1616–1623.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Maalekuu, K., Elkind, Y., Tuvia-Alkalai, S., Shalom, Y., & Fallik, E. (2004). The influence of harvest season and cultivar type on several quality traits and quality stability of three commercial sweet bell peppers during the harvest period. Advances in Horticultural Science, 18(1), 21–25.Google Scholar
- Soda, I., Hasegawa, T., & Suzuki, T. (1987). Changes in hemicellulose during ripening of kiwifruit. Journal of Agricultural Sciences, 31(3), 261–264.Google Scholar
- Wang, J., Han, T., & Li, L. (2006). Study and applications of ultrasound wave in biological and food technology. Journal of Beijing Agricultural College, 21(1), 67–75.Google Scholar
- Zhao, L., Liu, L., & Ma, Y. (2009). Preservation of apricot by chitosan nano-ZnO film. Food Research and Development, 30(2), 126–128.Google Scholar