In-Line Estimation of the Standard Colour Index of Citrus Fruits Using a Computer Vision System Developed For a Mobile Platform
- 497 Downloads
A key aspect for the consumer when it comes to deciding on a particular product is the colour. In order to make fruit available to consumers as early as possible, the collection of oranges and mandarins begins before they ripen fully and reach their typical orange colour. As a result, they are therefore subjected to certain degreening treatments, depending on their standard colour citrus index at harvest. Recently, a mobile platform that incorporates a computer vision system capable of pre-sorting the fruit while it is being harvested has been developed as an aid in the harvesting task. However, due to the restrictions of working in the field, the computer vision system developed for this machine is limited in its technology and processing capacity compared to conventional systems. This work shows the optimised algorithms for estimating the colour of citrus in-line that were developed for this mobile platform and its performance is evaluated against that of a spectrophotometer used as a reference in the analysis of colour in food. The results obtained prove that our analysis system predicts the colour index of citrus with a good reliability (R 2 = 0.925) working in real time. Findings also show that it is effective for classifying harvested fruits in the field according to their colour.
KeywordsColour analysis Citrus fruits Degreening Machine vision Automatic inspection
This work was partially funded by the INIA through research project RTA2009-00118-C02-01 with the support of European FEDER funds, and by the project PAID-05-11-2745, Vicerectorat d’Investigació, Universitat Politècnica de València.
- Arzate-Vázquez, I., Chanona-Pérez, J. J., Perea-Flores, M. J., Calderón-Domínguez, G., Moreno-Armendáriz, M. A., Calvo, H., Godoy-Calderón, S., Quevedo, R., & Gutiérrez-López, G. (2011). Image processing applied to classification of avocado variety Hass (Persea americana Mill.) during the ripening process. Food and Bioprocess Technology, 4(7), 1307–1313.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Blasco, J., Aleixos, N., Cubero, S., Gómez-Sanchis, J., & Moltó, E. (2009). Automatic sorting of satsuma (Citrus unshiu) segments using computer vision and morphological features. Computers and Electronics in Agriculture, 66, 1–8.Google Scholar
- Campbell, B. L., Nelson, R. G., Ebel, C. E., Dozier, W. A., Adrian, J. L., & Hockema, B. R. (2004). Fruit quality characteristics that affect consumer preferences for satsuma mandarins. HortScience, 39(7), 1664–1669.Google Scholar
- Cavazza, A., Corradini, C., Rinaldi, M., Salvadeo, P., Borromei, C., & Massini, R. (2012). Evaluation of pasta thermal treatment by determination of carbohydrates, furosine, and color indices. Food and Bioprocess Technology. doi: 10.1007/s11947-012-0906-6. In-press.
- DOGV (2006) Diari Oficial de la Comunitat Valenciana, 5346, 30321-30328.Google Scholar
- Hashim, N., Janius, R. B., Baranyai, L., Rahman, R. A., Osman, A., & Zude, M. (2011). Kinetic model for colour changes in bananas during the appearance of chilling injury symptoms. Food and Bioprocess Technology, 5(8), 2952–2963.Google Scholar
- HunterLab (2008): Applications note, 8(9), http://www.hunterlab.com/appnotes/an08_96a.pdf. Accessed September 2012.
- Jiménez-Cuesta MJ, Cuquerella J & Martínez-Jávega JM (1981) Determination of a color index for citrus fruit degreening. In Proc. of the International Society of Citriculture, Vol. 2, 750-753Google Scholar
- Lang, C., & Hübert, T. (2011). A colour ripeness indicator for apples. Food and Bioprocess Technology, 5(8), 3244–3249.Google Scholar
- López-Camelo, A. F., & Gómez, P. A. (2004). Comparison of color indexes for tomato ripening. Horticultura Brasileira, 22(3), 534–537. http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S0102-05362004000300006.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- López-García, F., Andreu-García, A., Blasco, J., Aleixos, N., & Valiente, J. M. (2010). Automatic detection of skin defects in citrus fruits using a multivariate image analysis approach. Computers and Electronics in Agriculture, 71, 189–197.Google Scholar
- Montgomery, D. C. (2005). Design and analysis of experiments, 6th ed. Tempe: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Noboru, O., & Robertson, A. R. (2005). Colorimetry. West Sussex: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Pathare, P. B., Opara, U. L., & Al-Said, F. A. (2012). Colour measurement and analysis in fresh and processed foods: a review. Food and Bioprocess Technology. doi: 10.1007/s11947-012-0867-9. In-press.
- Sahin, S., & Sumnu, S. G. (2006). Physical properties of foods. New York: Springer.Google Scholar
- Quevedo, R., Valencia, E., Alvarado, F., Ronceros, B., & Bastias, J. M. (2011). Comparison of whiteness index vs. fractal Fourier in the determination of bloom chocolate using image analysis. Food and Bioprocess Technology. doi: 10.1007/s11947-011-0729-x. In-press.