Headache recurrence and treatment
- 27 Downloads
The definition of recurrence includes the following: any headache occurring after a headache-free state at 2 hours and within 24 hours after intake of drug; a headache that has never been studied systematically; a headache that may not be an outcome of drug treatment; a headache that may be due to the inherent nature of migraine and individual patient characteristics such as duration of attack; and headache for which effective treatment may be a re-dose of the initial medication or addition of steroidal or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
References and Recommended Reading
- 3.Göbel H, Boswell D, Winter P, Crisp A: A comparison of the efficacy, safety and tolerability of naratriptan and sumatriptan [abstract]. Cephalalgia 1997, 17:426.Google Scholar
- 7.Scott RJ, Aitchison WRC, Barker PR, McLaren GI: Oral sumatriptan in the acute treatment of migraine and migraine recurrence in general practice. Q J Med 1996, 89:613–622.Google Scholar
- 17.Dahlöf C, Winter P, Whitehouse H, Hassani H: Randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled comparison of oral naratriptan and oral sumatriptan in the acute treatment of migraine [abstract]. Neurology 1997, 48:A85.Google Scholar
- 25.Goadsby PJ: Evaluating specific acute headache therapies: recurrence and tolerability. Paper presented at: 52nd Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Neurology; San Diego, CA. May 2, 2000;Google Scholar
- 30.Lance JW: Summing-up. In Migraine: Pharmacology and Genetics. Edited by Sandler M, Ferrari MD, Harnett S. London: Chapman and Hall; 1996:300–308.Google Scholar
- 31.Ferrari MD, Lipton RB, McCarroll KA, Vandormael K: Lines CR. 24-hour sustained pain free status after rizatriptan and other triptans: a comparison. Headache 2000, 40:407–408.Google Scholar
- 34.Krymchantowski AV: Naproxen sodium decreases migraine recurrence when administered with sumatriptan. Arq Neuropsiquitar 2000, 58:428–430. Important placebo-controlled study using naratriptan.Google Scholar
- 36.Krymchantowski AV, Barbosa JS: Dexamethasone decreases migraine recurrence observed after treatment with a triptan combined with an NSAID. Arq Neurosiquitar 2001, 59:708–711.Google Scholar