Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography in Pediatric Populations
Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) has grown in its utility in the pediatric population since it was first described. The overall number of pediatric ERCPs performed has increased due to an increased incidence of pancreatobiliary disease in the pediatric population. Despite increased use, there is limited data regarding the efficacy and safety in pediatric cohorts, and minimal data on measures to minimize post-ERCP complications in children. We aim to discuss the role and safety of ERCP in children, the use of rectal indomethacin for post-ERCP pancreatitis (PEP), and the evolving role of ERCP in managing pancreatobiliary injuries secondary to blunt abdominal trauma.
ERCP in pediatric patients
During the period between 2000 and 2009, a total of 22,153 pediatric ERCPs were performed in the USA, with an overall increase of ERCPs from 5337 to 6733 performed per year. Therapeutic procedures made up 78% of the procedures, largely due to the decline in...
KeywordsPediatric endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography Pancreatic duct injury Blunt abdominal trauma Post-ERCP pancreatitis Rectal indomethacin
References and Recommended Reading
- 3.Mekaroonkamol P, Shah R, Nieto J, Chawla S, Freeman AJ, Sauer CG, et al. Sa2079 efficacy and safety of rectal indomethacin for prevention of post endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography pancreatitis in a pediatric population. Gastrointest Endosc85(5):AB287-AB8.Google Scholar
- 5.Shah R, Mekaroonkamol P, Taylor A, Freeman AJ, Fritzen C, Chawla S, et al. Tu1988 safety and efficacy of endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography in pediatric patients: an 8 year experience from a multi-center study. Gastrointest Endosc 2018;87(6):AB610-AB1.Google Scholar
- 6.Usatin D, Fernandes M, Allen IE, Perito ER, Ostroff J, Heyman MB. Complications of endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography in pediatric patients; a systematic literature review and meta-analysis. J Pediatr. 2016;179:160–5 e3.Google Scholar
- 10.Mekaroonkamol P, Nieto J, Chawla S, Freeman AJ, Alnoah Z, Keilin S, et al. Sa2065 a multicenter evaluation of therapeutic endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography in pediatric populations. Gastrointest Endosc83(5):AB303-AB4.Google Scholar
- 13.Rosenfeld EH, Vogel AM, Klinkner DB, Escobar M, Gaines B, Russell R, et al. The utility of ERCP in pediatric pancreatic trauma. J Pediatr Surg. 2017.Google Scholar
- 14.Naseemuddin R, Fritzen CS, Freeman AJ, Keilin S, Cai Q, Willingham F. Tu1989 endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) with pancreatic duct (PD) stent placement for the management of grade 3 or higher pancreatic injuries in children with blunt abdominal trauma. Gastrointest Endosc. 2018;87(6):AB611.CrossRefGoogle Scholar