Transcatheter Tricuspid Valve Therapy
- 11 Downloads
Purpose of review
Despite the increasing prevalence of tricuspid regurgitation (TR) and its association with poor survival, isolated tricuspid valve (TV) surgery remains infrequent. To address this unmet clinical need, several less invasive transcatheter TV therapies have emerged as an alternative to surgery in high-risk patients with severe functional TR. The objective of this review is to summarize the current progress and future directions in the field of transcatheter TV therapies.
Transcatheter TV repair devices are aimed at improving leaflet coaptation either directly by bringing the leaflets together or indirectly by addressing the dilated annulus. Transcatheter TV replacement, on the other hand, can be orthotopic (implantation of prosthetic valve in an anatomically correct position in the tricuspid annulus) or heterotopic (implantation of prosthetic valve in a different anatomic location to counter the hemodynamic and clinical consequences of severe TR). Data from first-in-man and phase 1/2 clinical studies on the safety and efficacy of various transcatheter TV therapies appear promising.
Technological advancement and increased experience are anticipated to improve outcomes of transcatheter TV therapy in the coming years. Ongoing and future studies should focus on careful patient selection, optimal timing of intervention, and long-term clinical outcomes and device durability.
KeywordsValvular heart disease Transcatheter tricuspid valve therapy Tricuspid regurgitation Tricuspid valve
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of Interest
Dhaval Kolte declares no potential conflicts of interest. Sammy Elmariah reports a grant from Edwards Lifesciences and personal fees from AstraZeneca and Medtronic.
Human and Animal Rights and Informed Consent
This article does not contain any studies with human or animal subjects performed by any of the authors.
References and Recommended Reading
Papers of particular interest, published recently, have been highlighted as: • Of importance •• Of major importance
- 8.Kwon DA, Park JS, Chang HJ, Kim YJ, Sohn DW, Kim KB, et al. Prediction of outcome in patients undergoing surgery for severe tricuspid regurgitation following mitral valve surgery and role of tricuspid annular systolic velocity. Am J Cardiol. 2006;98:659–61. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjcard.2006.03.047.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 10.•• Taramasso M, Alessandrini H, Latib A, Asami M, Attinger-Toller A, Biasco L, et al. Outcomes after current Transcatheter tricuspid valve intervention: mid-term results from the international TriValve Registry. JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 2018. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcin.2018.10.022. This article describes the 30-day and 6-month outcomes of patients enrolled in a large, prospective international registry to evaluate the clinical applications of transcatheter tricuspid valve intervention with different devices.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 11.Braun D, Orban M, Orban M, Hagl C, Massberg S, Nabauer M, et al. Transcatheter edge-to-edge repair for severe tricuspid regurgitation using the triple-orifice technique versus the bicuspidalization technique. JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 2018;11:1790–2. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcin.2018.05.049.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 15.NCT03227757 Evaluation of Treatment With Abbott Transcatheter Clip Repair System in Patients With Moderate or Greater Tricuspid Regurgitation (TRILUMINATE). C . 12-18-2018. 1-18-2019.Google Scholar
- 16.Praz F, Spargias K, Chrissoheris M, Bullesfeld L, Nickenig G, Deuschl F, et al. Compassionate use of the PASCAL transcatheter mitral valve repair system for patients with severe mitral regurgitation: a multicentre, prospective, observational, first-in-man study. Lancet. 2017;390:773–80. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(17)31600-8.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 19.• Perlman G, Praz F, Puri R, Ofek H, Ye J, Philippon F, et al. Transcatheter tricuspid valve repair with a new transcatheter coaptation system for the treatment of severe tricuspid regurgitation: 1-year clinical and echocardiographic results. JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 2017;10:1994–2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcin.2017.06.036. This multicenter study reports the 1-year clinical and echocardiographic outcomes of 18 patients treated with the FORMA system.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 20.NCT02471807. Early Feasibility Study of the Edwards FORMA Tricuspid Transcatheter Repair System. 3-22-2018. ClinicalTrials.gov. 1-18-2019.
- 21.NCT02787408. The SPACER trial - Repair of Tricuspid Valve Regurgitation Using the Edwards TricuSPid TrAnsCatheter REpaiR System. 12-26-2017. ClinicalTrials.gov. 1-18-2019.
- 24.Ghanta RK, Chen R, Narayanasamy N, McGurk S, Lipsitz S, Chen FY, et al. Suture bicuspidization of the tricuspid valve versus ring annuloplasty for repair of functional tricuspid regurgitation: midterm results of 237 consecutive patients. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2007;133:117–26. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jtcvs.2006.08.068.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 26.• Hahn RT, Meduri CU, Davidson CJ, Lim S, Nazif TM, Ricciardi MJ, et al. Early feasibility study of a transcatheter tricuspid valve annuloplasty: SCOUT trial 30-day results. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017;69:1795–806. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacc.2017.01.054. This prospective, single-arm, multicenter, early feasibility study reports the 30-day outcomes of 15 patients treated with the Trialign device.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 27.NCT03225612. Safety and Performance of the Trialign Percutaneous Tricuspid Valve Annuloplasty System (PTVAS) (SCOUT-II). 2-7-2018. ClinicalTrials.gov. 1-18-2019.
- 30.NCT02098200. Percutaneous Treatment of Tricuspid Valve Regurgitation With the TriCinch System™ (PREVENT). 3-14-2018. ClinicalTrials.gov. 1-18-2019.
- 32.Edwards Granted CE Mark For First Transcatheter Tricuspid Therapy. 4-30-2018. Irvine, CA, Edwards Lifesciences, Inc. 1-18-2019.Google Scholar
- 33.Nickenig G. TRI-REPAIR: 30-day outcomes of transcatheter TV repair in patients with severe secondary tricuspid regurgitation. Transcatheter Cardiovascular Therapeutics 2017. 11-2-2017. Denver, CO. 11–2–2017.Google Scholar
- 34.NCT03382457. Edwards Cardioband Tricuspid Valve Reconstruction System Early Feasibility Study. 8-15-2018. ClinicalTrials.gov. 1-19-2019.
- 36.First Clinical Tricuspid Bicuspidization Procedure Completed Using Micro Interventional Devices’ MIA Technology. Cardiac Interventions TODAY. 09-07-2017. https://citoday.com/2017/09/11/first-clinical-tricuspid-bicuspidization-procedure-completed-using-micro-interventional-devices-mia-technology?center=22. 1-18-2019.
- 40.Aboulhosn J, Cabalka AK, Levi DS, Himbert D, Testa L, Latib A, et al. Transcatheter valve-in-ring implantation for the treatment of residual or recurrent tricuspid valve dysfunction after prior surgical repair. JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 2017;10:53–63. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcin.2016.10.036.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 41.•• McElhinney DB, Aboulhosn JA, Dvir D, Whisenant B, Zhang Y, Eicken A, et al. Mid-term valve-related outcomes after transcatheter tricuspid valve-in-valve or valve-in-ring replacement. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2019;73:148–57. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacc.2018.10.051. This article reports the 3-year outcomes (death, reintervention, and valve-related adverse outcomes) of 306 patients enrolled in the Valve-in-Valve International Database (VIVID) Registry who underwent transcatheter tricuspid valve-in-valve or valve-in-ring replacement.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 43.Navia JL, Kapadia S, Elgharably H, Harb SC, Krishnaswamy A, Unai S, et al. First-in-human implantations of the NaviGate bioprosthesis in a severely dilated tricuspid annulus and in a failed tricuspid annuloplasty ring. Circ Cardiovasc Interv. 2017;10. https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCINTERVENTIONS.117.005840.
- 44.Gavazzoni M, Pozzoli A, Zuber M, Ho EC, Tanner FC, Kapos I, et al. Single-center experience with catheter-based tricuspid valve replacement for tricuspid regurgitation: procedural and echocardiographic findings. JACC Cardiovasc Imaging. 2019. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcmg.2018.11.017.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 46.Weisz G (2018) TRISOL tricuspid valve replacement: a comprehensive solution for tricuspid regurgitation and RV dysfunction. The Structural Heart Diseas Summit 2018. 6-27-2018.Google Scholar
- 48.Lauten A, Ferrari M, Hekmat K, Pfeifer R, Dannberg G, Ragoschke-Schumm A, et al. Heterotopic transcatheter tricuspid valve implantation: first-in-man application of a novel approach to tricuspid regurgitation. Eur Heart J. 2011;32:1207–13. https://doi.org/10.1093/eurheartj/ehr028.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 49.Lauten A, Figulla HR, Unbehaun A, Fam N, Schofer J, Doenst T, et al. Interventional treatment of severe tricuspid regurgitation: early clinical experience in a multicenter, observational, first-in-man study. Circ Cardiovasc Interv. 2018;11:e006061. https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCINTERVENTIONS.117.006061.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 51.NCT02339974 Heterotopic implantation of the Edwards-Sapien transcatheter aortic valve in the inferior VEna cava for the treatment of severe tricuspid regurgitation (HOVER). 12-7-2018. ClinicalTrials.gov. 1-20-2019.
- 52.NCT02387697 Treatment of severe secondary TRIcuspid regurgitation in patients with advance heart failure with CAval vein implantation of the Edwards Sapien XT VALve (TRICAVAL). 9-18-2018. ClinicalTrials.gov. 1-20-2019.