Multi-Modality Imaging in the Evaluation and Treatment of Tricuspid Regurgitation
- 42 Downloads
Purpose of review
The goal of this review is to cover the epidemiology of tricuspid regurgitation (TR), anatomy of the tricuspid valve (TV), and the mechanisms and modern treatment of TR. The focus will be on the role of echocardiography, cardiac CT, and MRI to determine the mechanism, severity, and management strategies of TR.
The evaluation and management of TR is a rapidly growing field with significant advances in both imaging and interventions. Important advances have been made to understand TV anatomy and physiology in 3D echo, CT, and MRI. Additional understanding of the abnormal outcomes in both primary TR and secondary TR have been appreciated. Multiple transcatheter devices have reached the stage of early trials in high surgical risk cohorts with favorable initial findings.
TR is a significant cardiovascular problem and vastly undertreated in the present era. There has been tremendous growth in knowledge of mechanisms of TR, its prognostic implications, timing of intervention, and development of novel treatment strategies. Multimodality imaging plays a key role in evaluation and treatment of this condition.
KeywordsTricuspid regurgitation Tricuspid valve Multi-modality imaging Valvular heart disease Transcatheter intervention
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of Interest
The authors declare that they have no conflicts of interest.
Human and Animal Rights and Informed Consent
This article does not contain any studies with human or animal subjects performed by any of the authors.
References and Recommended Reading
Papers of particular interest, published recently, have been highlighted as: • Of importance •• Of major importance
- 1.Singh JP, Evans JC, Levy D, Larson MG, Freed LA, Fuller DL, et al. Prevalence and clinical determinants of mitral, tricuspid, and aortic regurgitation (the Framingham heart study). Am J Cardiol. 1999;83(6):897–902.Google Scholar
- 5.Mutlak D, Lessick J, Khalil S, Yalonetsky S, Agmon Y, Aronson D. Tricuspid regurgitation in acute heart failure: is there any incremental risk? Eur heart J Cardiovasc imaging. 2018.Google Scholar
- 7.Zilberszac R, Gleiss A, Binder T, Laufer G, Grimm M, Gabriel H, et al. Prognostic relevance of mitral and tricuspid regurgitation in patients with severe aortic stenosis. Eur Heart J Cardiovasc Imaging. 2018:1.Google Scholar
- 8.Lindman BR, Maniar HS, Jaber WA, Lerakis S, Mack MJ, Suri RM, et al. Effect of tricuspid regurgitation and the right heart on survival after transcatheter aortic valve replacement: insights from the placement of aortic Transcatheter valves II inoperable cohort. Circ Cardiovasc Interv. 2015;8(4):e002073. https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCINTERVENTIONS.114.002073.
- 9.Schwartz LA, Rozenbaum Z, Ghantous E, Kramarz J, Biner S, Ghermezi M, et al. Impact of right ventricular dysfunction and tricuspid regurgitation on outcomes in patients undergoing Transcatheter aortic valve replacement. J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2017;30(1):36–46.Google Scholar
- 10.Yzeiraj E, Bijuklic K, Tiburtius C, Witt J, Krause K, Steude J, et al. Tricuspid regurgitation is a predictor of mortality after percutaneous mitral valve edge-to-edge repair. Euro Intervention. 2017;12(15):e1817–24.Google Scholar
- 11.• Alqahtani F, Berzingi CO, Aljohani S, Hijazi M, Al-Hallak A, Alkhouli M. Contemporary trends in the use and outcomes of surgical treatment of tricuspid regurgitation. J Am Heart Assoc. 2017;6(12):e007597. https://doi.org/10.1161/JAHA.117.007597. This interesting study shows increasing utilization of tricuspid surgery in the contemporary era, though mortality/morbidity remains high.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 15.Ancona F, Stella S, Taramasso M, Marini C, Latib A, Denti P, et al. Multimodality imaging of the tricuspid valve with implication for percutaneous repair approaches. Heart. 2017 Jul;103(14):1073–81.Google Scholar
- 19.Starck CT, Kempfert J, Falk V. Tricuspid valve interventions: surgical techniques and outcomes. EuroIntervention 2015 Sep;11 Suppl W:W128–W132.Google Scholar
- 20.• Utsunomiya H, Itabashi Y, Mihara H, Berdejo J, Kobayashi S, Siegel RJ, et al. Functional tricuspid regurgitation caused by chronic atrial fibrillation: a real-time 3-dimensional transesophageal echocardiography study. Circ Cardiovasc Imaging. 2017 Jan;10(1):e004897. https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCIMAGING.116.004897. This interesting study highlights the incidence and assessment of this increasingly appreciated TR-AF in mostly elderly, female patients with AF, without pulmonary hypertension.
- 21.Ejiofor JI, Neely RC, Yammine M, McGurk S, Kaneko T, Leacche M, et al. Surgical outcomes of isolated tricuspid valve procedures: repair versus replacement. Ann Cardiothorac Surg. 2017;6(3):214–22.Google Scholar
- 22.Trankle CR, Gertz ZM, Koneru JN, Kasirajan V, Nicolato P, Bhardwaj HL, et al. Severe tricuspid regurgitation due to interactions with right ventricular permanent pacemaker or defibrillator leads. Pacing Clin Electrophysiol. 2018:14.Google Scholar
- 23.• Schleifer JW, Pislaru SV, Lin G, Powell BD, Espinosa R, Koestler C, et al. Effect of ventricular pacing lead position on tricuspid regurgitation: A randomized prospective Trials Heart Rhythm 2018 Mar 1. This small, randomized study shows no effect of varying pacemaker location on the incidence of AF post procedure.Google Scholar
- 24.• Woudstra OI, Bokma JP, Winter MM, Kies P, Jongbloed MRM, Vliegen HW, et al. Clinical course of tricuspid regurgitation in repaired tetralogy of Fallot. Int J Cardiol. 2017;243:191–3. This article is of importance to the ACHD community and highlights the increasing importance of acquired valvular disease in the grown up survivors of these complex conditions.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 27.• Hahn RT. State-of-the-art review of echocardiographic imaging in the evaluation and treatment of functional tricuspid regurgitation. Circ Cardiovasc Imaging. 2016;9(12):e005332. https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCIMAGING.116.005332. Excellent review of echo imaging of the tricuspid valve.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 30.Lancellotti P, Tribouilloy C, Hagendorff A, Popescu BA, Edvardsen T, Pierard LA, et al. Recommendations for the echocardiographic assessment of native valvular regurgitation: an executive summary from the European Association of Cardiovascular Imaging. Eur Heart J Cardiovasc Imaging. 2013 Jul;14(7):611–44.Google Scholar
- 31.•• van Rosendael PJ, Kamperidis V, Kong WK, van Rosendael AR, van der Kley F, Ajmone Marsan N, et al. Computed tomography for planning transcatheter tricuspid valve therapy. Eur Heart J. 2017;38(9):665–74. Important study that lays the groundwork for better anatomical understanding using CT prior to transcatheter interventions.Google Scholar
- 32.• Feneis JF, Kyubwa E, Atianzar K, Cheng JY, Alley MT. Vasanawala SS, et al. 4D flow MRI quantification of mitral and tricuspid regurgitation: reproducibility and consistency relative to conventional MRI. J Magn Reson Imaging. 2018:11. This small study demonstrates the accuracy of 4D flow PC MRI, which undoubtedly will become more widespread in use in the coming decade.Google Scholar
- 33.• Park JB, Kim HK, Jung JH, Klem I, Yoon YE, Lee SP, et al. Prognostic value of cardiac MR imaging for preoperative assessment of patients with severe functional tricuspid regurgitation. Radiology. 2016;280(3):723–34. This study demonstrates MRI can be prognostically helpful in predicting outcomes of surgery in isolated severe TR.Google Scholar
- 34.Nishimura RA, Otto CM, Bonow RO, Carabello BA, Erwin JP. 3rd, Fleisher LA, et al. 2017 AHA/ACC focused update of the 2014 AHA/ACC guideline for the Management of Patients with Valvular Heart Disease: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association task force on clinical practice guidelines. Circulation. 2017;135(25):e1159–95.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 35.Rudski LG, Lai WW, Afilalo J, Hua L, Handschumacher MD, Chandrasekaran K, et al. Guidelines for the echocardiographic assessment of the right heart in adults: a report from the American Society of Echocardiography endorsed by the European Association of Echocardiography, a registered branch of the European Society of Cardiology, and the Canadian Society of Echocardiography. J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2010;23(7):685,713. quiz 786–8CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 36.Naoum C, Blanke P, Cavalcante JL, Leipsic J. Cardiac computed tomography and magnetic resonance imaging in the evaluation of mitral and tricuspid valve disease: implications for Transcatheter interventions. Circ Cardiovasc Imaging. 2017;10(3):e005331. https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCIMAGING.116.005331.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 40.• Pagnesi M, Montalto C, Mangieri A, Agricola E, Puri R, Chiarito M, et al. Tricuspid annuloplasty versus a conservative approach in patients with functional tricuspid regurgitation undergoing left-sided heart valve surgery: a study-level meta-analysis. Int J Cardiol. 2017;240:138–44. This study supports the current guidelines by demonstrating mortality benefit to this approach.Google Scholar
- 44.•• McElhinney DB, Cabalka AK, Aboulhosn JA, Eicken A, Boudjemline Y, Schubert S, et al. Transcatheter tricuspid valve-in-valve implantation for the treatment of dysfunctional surgical bioprosthetic valves: an international, multicenter registry study. Circulation. 2016;133(16):1582–93. Landmark study demonstrating the feasibility of tricuspid valve-in-valve.Google Scholar
- 45.Navia JL, Kapadia S, Elgharably H, Harb SC, Krishnaswamy A, Unai S, et al. First-in-human implantations of the NaviGate bioprosthesis in a severely dilated tricuspid annulus and in a failed tricuspid Annuloplasty ring. Circ Cardiovasc Interv. 2017;10(12):e005840. https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCINTERVENTIONS.117.005840.
- 46.Taramasso M, Hahn RT, Alessandrini H, Latib A, Attinger-Toller A, Braun D, et al. The international multicenter TriValve registry: which patients are undergoing Transcatheter tricuspid repair? JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 2017;10(19):1982–90.Google Scholar
- 48.Lauten A, Figulla HR, Unbehaun A, Fam N, Schofer J, Doenst T, et al. Interventional treatment of severe tricuspid regurgitation: early clinical experience in a multicenter, observational, first-in-man study. Circ Cardiovasc Interv. 2018;11(2):e006061.Google Scholar
- 50.Orban M, Besler C, Braun D, Nabauer M, Zimmer M, Orban M, et al. Six-month outcome after transcatheter edge-to-edge repair of severe tricuspid regurgitation in patients with heart failure. Eur J Heart Fail. 2018;20(6):1055–62.Google Scholar
- 51.Rogers T, Ratnayaka K, Sonmez M, Franson DN, Schenke WH, Mazal JR, et al. Transatrial Intrapericardial tricuspid Annuloplasty. JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 2015;8(3):483–91.Google Scholar
- 54.Perlman G, Praz F, Puri R, Ofek H, Ye J, Philippon F, et al. Transcatheter tricuspid valve repair with a new Transcatheter Coaptation system for the treatment of severe tricuspid regurgitation: 1-year clinical and echocardiographic results. JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 2017;10(19):1994–2003.Google Scholar
- 56.Kalra A, Uberoi AS, Latib A, Khera S, Little SH, Bhatt DL, et al. Emerging Transcatheter Options for Tricuspid Regurgitation, 2017. Methodist Debakey Cardiovasc J. 13(3):120–5.Google Scholar
- 57.Utsunomiya H, Itabashi Y, Mihara H, Kobayashi S, De Robertis MA, Trento A, et al. Usefulness of 3D echocardiographic parameters of tricuspid valve morphology to predict residual tricuspid regurgitation after tricuspid annuloplasty. Eur Heart J Cardiovasc Imaging. 2017;18(7):809–17.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 59.• Prihadi EA, Delgado V, Hahn RT, Leipsic J, Min JK, Bax JJ. Imaging needs in novel Transcatheter tricuspid valve interventions. JACC Cardiovasc Imaging. 2018;11(5):736–54. Important review of anatomy, imaging and transcatheter techniques in TR with excellent illustrations.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 61.Heterotopic Implantation Of the Edwards-Sapien Transcatheter Aortic Valve in the Inferior VEna Cava for the Treatment of Severe Tricuspid Regurgitation (HOVER). https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02339974. Accessed 25 June 2018.
- 62.Treatment of Severe Secondary TRIcuspid Regurgitation in Patients With Advance Heart Failure With CAval Vein Implantation of the Edwards Sapien XT VALve (TRICAVAL). https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02387697. Accessed 25 June 2018.
- 63.Early Feasibility of the Mitralign Percutaneous Tricuspid Valve Annuloplasty System (PTVAS) Also Known as TriAlign™(SCOUT). https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02574650. Accessed 25 June 2018.
- 64.Percutaneous Treatment of Tricuspid Valve Regurgitation With the TriCinch System™ (PREVENT). https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02098200. Accessed 25 June 2018.
- 65.The SPACER Trial - Repair of Tricuspid Valve Regurgitation Using the Edwards TricuSPid TrAnsCatheter REpaiR System (SPACER). https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02787408. Accessed 25 June 2018.