Update on Vasectomy Protocol
- 203 Downloads
Vasectomy is a commonly practiced form of male contraception with over half a million procedures performed annually. Among urologists who perform the procedure, there is considerable variation in pre-procedure patient counseling, vasectomy technique, and post-procedure practices regarding confirmation of sterility. We report an overview of the vasectomy literature published within the past year with a focus on guidelines that have been recently published by two major organizations, the American Urological Association (AUA) and the European Association of Urology (EAU).
KeywordsVasectomy Vasectomy reversal Sterilization Male contraceptive Male contraception Pregnancy Testis
The authors reported no potential conflicts of interest relevant to this article.
Papers of particular interest have been highlighted as: • Of importance •• Of major importance
- 2.Martinez GM, Chandra A, Abma JC, et al. Fertility, contraception, and fatherhood: data on men and women from cycle 6 (2002) of the 2002 National Survey of Family Growth. Vital Health Stat. 2006;26:1–142.Google Scholar
- 4.•• Sharlip ID, Belker AM, Honig S, et al. Vasectomy: AUA guideline. http://www.auanet.org/content/clinical-practice-guidelines/clinical-guidelines.cfm. Accessed 7/30/2012. This document outlines evidence-based recommendations based on a comprehensive review of vasectomy-related literature published from 1949-2011.
- 5.Dohle GR, Diemer T, Kopa Z, et al. European Association of Urology guidelines on vasectomy.Google Scholar
- 6.•• European Association of Urology Working Group on Male Infertility. Eur Urol. 2012;61(1):159-63. This article provides evidence-based information and recommendations based on a systematic review of literature published from 1980-2010. Google Scholar
- 14.•• Massey Jr FJ, Bernstein GS, O’Fallon WM, et al. Vasectomy and health: results from a large cohort study. JAMA. 1984;252:1023–9. This large retrospective study establishes the absence of cardiovascular effects of vasectomy.Google Scholar
- 23.• Cook LA, Van Vliet H, Lopez LM, et al. Vasectomy occlusion techniques for male sterilization. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2007, CD003991. This article reviewed six randomized controlled trials comparing vasectomy techniques. Google Scholar
- 26.Schwingl PJ, Guess HA. Safety and effectiveness of vasectomy. Fertil Steril. 2000;73:Google Scholar
- 27.•• WHO laboratory manual for the examination and processing of human semen. Fifth edition, 2010. This document establishes standards for the performance of semen analysis, which in turn forms the basis for determining success of vasectomy. Google Scholar
- 28.Shulte RT, Keller LM, Hiner MR, et al. Temporal decreases in sperm motility: which patients should have motility checked at both 1 and 2 hours after collection? J Androl. 2008;29:2728.Google Scholar
- 29.• Hancock P, McLaughlin E. British Andrology Society guidelines for the assessment of post vasectomy semen samples. J Clin Pathol. 2002;55:812–6. This article establishes principles for timing and interpretation of post-vasectomy semen samples.Google Scholar