Penile Fracture and Penile Reconstruction
- 354 Downloads
The past decade has seen a significant development in penile reconstruction techniques, and the management of penile fracture has progressively shifted from a conservative approach to early surgical repair. The radial artery–based free flap phalloplasty now represents the gold-standard procedure for total phallic reconstruction both in men and in female-to-male transsexuals.
KeywordsPenile fracture Penile curvature Erectile dysfunction Penile cancer Lichen sclerosus Phalloplasty Urethroplasty Penile prosthesis Radial artery–based free flap phalloplasty RAFF Penile shaft reconstruction Glansectomy Micropenis Aphallia Transsexuals (female-to-male) Surgery
No potential conflicts of interest relevant to this article were reported.
Papers of particular interest, published recently, have been highlighted as: •••• Of major importance
- 1.Miller S, McAninch JW. Penile fracture and soft tissue injury. In: McAninch JW, editor. Traumatic and reconstructive urology, ch 59. Philadelphia: WB Saunders; 1996. p. 693–8.Google Scholar
- 10.Bertero EB, Campos RS, Mattos Jr D. Penile fracture with urethral injury. Braz J Urol. 2000;26:295–7.Google Scholar
- 25.•••• Garaffa G, Shabbir M, Christopher N et Al. The surgical management of Lichen Sclerosus of the glans penis: our experience and review of the literature. J Sex Med 2011; 6 (Epub ahead of print). This is the largest series of glans resurfacing for benign disease published so far; it shows that glans resurfacing is an excellent technique in case of LS and achieves excellent cosmetic and functional results. Google Scholar
- 26.•••• Shabbir M, Muneer A, Kalsi J et Al. Glans resurfacing for the treatment of carcinoma in situ of the penis: surgical technique outcomes. Eur Urol 2010; 20 (Epub ahead of print). This series shows that glans resurfacing guarantees excellent result in patients with CIS, but recurrence rate can be as high as 25%. Google Scholar
- 29.Bogoras N. Uber die volle plastische wiederherstellung eines zum Koitus fahigen Penis (peniplastica totalis). Zentralbl Chir. 1936;63:1271.Google Scholar
- 37.•••• Hoebeke PB, Decaesteker K, Beysens M et Al. Erectile implants in female-to-male-transsexuals: our experience in 129 patients. Eur Urol 2010; 57 (2): 334–4). This series, the largest in the literature on the topic, confirms that penile prosthesis implantation in phalloplasty is possible but complication rate is high. PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar