Borderline personality disorder and childhood trauma: Evidence for a causal relationship
- 2.2k Downloads
The debate over whether childhood trauma is a causative factor in the development of borderline personality disorder continues in the literature despite decades of research. This review examines this body of literature published from 1995 through 2007 to assess the strength of evidence for such a causal relationship. A unique conceptual approach was used, as we considered the literature in the context of Hill’s classic criteria for demonstrating causation. Results of this review suggest that evidence supports the causal relationship, particularly if the relationship is considered as part of a multifactorial etiologic model. Directions for future research and clinical implications are discussed.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
References and Recommended Reading
- 6.Hill AB: A Short Textbook of Medical Statistics, edn 11. Suffolk, United Kingdom: Hodder and Stoughton; 1984.Google Scholar
- 7.Laporte L, Guttman H: Traumatic childhood experiences as risk factors for borderline and other personality disorders. J Personal Disord 1996, 10:247–259.Google Scholar
- 18.Yen S, Shea MT, Battle CL, et al.: Traumatic exposure and posttraumatic stress disorder in borderline, schizotypal, avoidant, and obsessive-compulsive personality disorders: findings from the Collaborative Longitudinal Personality Disorders Study. J Nerv Ment Dis 2002, 190:510–518.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 30.Nahas Z, Molnar C, George MS: Brain imaging. In The American Psychiatric Publishing Textbook of Personality Disorders, edn 1. Edited by Oldham JM, Skodol AE, Bender DS. Arlington, VA: American Psychiatric Publishing; 2005:623–639.Google Scholar
- 31.Rinne T: The interference of sustained adverse childhood experiences and the development of borderline personality disorder: a neurobiological perspective. In Personality Disorders: Current Research and Treatments, edn 1. Edited by Reich J. New York: Routledge; 2005:75–103.Google Scholar
- 35.Goodman M, Yehuda R: The relationship between psychological trauma and borderline personality disorder. Psychiatr Ann 2002, 32:337–345.Google Scholar
- 38.Livesley WJ: The structure and etiology of borderline pathology. In Personality Disorders: Current Research and Treatments, edn 1. Edited by Reich J. New York: Routledge; 2005:21–42.Google Scholar
- 47.Linehan MM: Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy for Borderline Personality Disorder. New York: Guilford Press; 1993.Google Scholar