Tension-type headache and psychiatric comorbidity
- 162 Downloads
Much of the contemporary literature on headache disorders focuses on migraine headaches, despite the fact that tension-type headache (TTH) is highly prevalent and can be as debilitating as migraines. This article reviews the current literature on prevalence rates of psychiatric disorders in TTH populations, psychologic factors associated with TTH, and psychiatric disorders and their relationships with treatment outcomes in TTH. Key conclusions of this review include 1) prevalence rates of TTH vary across clinical and population-based samples; 2) greater TTH chronicity is associated with increased affective distress; 3) Axis II personality disorders may play an important role in TTH prevalence rates and psychologic functioning but have been understudied to date; and 4) maladaptive coping is common in persons with TTH.
KeywordsMigraine Anxiety Disorder Headache Disorder Chronic Daily Headache Alexithymia
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
References and Recommended Reading
- 3.Breslau N: Psychiatric comorbidity in migraine. Cephalalgia 1998, 18:58–61.Google Scholar
- 20.Bendtsen L, Detlef Treede R: Sensitization of myofacial pain pathways in tension-type headaches. In The Headaches. Edited by Olesen J, Goadsby PJ, Ramadan NM, et al.: Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2006:637–642.Google Scholar
- 22.Janke EM, Holroyd KA: Pericranial muscle tenderness is associated with widespread pain sensitivity, psychiatric comorbidity and dysfunctional psychological responses to pain in healthy young adult females. In Headache Clinics: Organization, Patients and Treatments. Edited by Jensen R, Diener HC, Olesen J. London: Oxford University Press; In press.Google Scholar
- 27.Heckman B, Holroyd KA, O Donnell FJ, et al.: Race, psychiatric comorbidity and headache. Poster presented at the Society of Behavioral Medicine Annual Meeting. Boston, MA; April 13–16, 2005.Google Scholar
- 45.Andrasik F, Blanchard EB: Task Force report on the biofeedback treatment of tension headache. In Biofeedback Studies in Clinical Efficacy. Edited by Hatch JP, Rugh JD, Fisher JG. New York: Plenum; 1987:281–321.Google Scholar
- 53.Blanchard EB, Andrasik F: Management of Chronic Headaches: A Psychological Approach. Elmsford, NY: Pergamon Press; 1985.Google Scholar