Cluster headache: Myths and the evidence
- 114 Downloads
Although cluster headache (CH) has been the focus of a great deal of research, it also has been the focus of a great deal of speculations that have been repeated commonly as fact. The authors conducted a thorough review of the literature and an informal poll of several noted headache experts to investigate the truth behind common myths and hypotheses regarding CH. They then present an overview of some of these more common hypotheses, observations, and myths, and offer a brief review of the existing evidence supporting or negating the theories. These include gender, genetics, suicidality, homicidality, physical appearance, personality, and psychologic features of the patient with CH.
KeywordsMigraine Cluster Headache Migraine With Aura Chronic Daily Headache International Headache Society
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
References and Recommended Reading
- 1.Horton BT: Histaminic cephalgia. Differential diagnosis and treatment: 1176 patients 1937–1955. Proc Staff Meet Mayo Clinic 1956, 31:325–333.Google Scholar
- 4.Klapper JA, Klapper A, Voss T: The misdiagnosis of cluster headache: a nonclinic, population-based Internet survey. Headache 2000, 40:730–736. One of the largest surveys of CH patients, it is the first based on IHS criteria. Patients were self-identified through a CH organization’s website.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.Lovshin LL: Clinical caprices of histaminic cephalgia. Headache 1961, 1:3–6.Google Scholar
- 8.Russell MB, Andersson PG, Thomsen LL: Familial occurrence of cluster headache. Genet Epidemiol 1994, 11:305–306.Google Scholar
- 13.Horton BT: Histamine cephalgia. Lancet 1952, 72:92–98.Google Scholar
- 14.Sjaastad O: Cluster Headache Syndrome. London: W.B. Saunders Company Ltd; 1992.Google Scholar
- 17.Kudrow L: Cluster Headache: Mechanisms and Management. London: Oxford University Press; 1980.Google Scholar
- 24.Headache Classification Committee of the International Headache Society: The International Classification of Headache Disorders, edn 2. Cephalalgia 2004, 24:1–160.Google Scholar
- 28.Graham JR: Cluster headache. Presented at the International Symposium on Headache. Chicago, IL: 1969.Google Scholar
- 32.Italian Cooperative Study Group on the Epidemiology of Cluster Headache (ICECH): Case-control study on the epidemiology of cluster headache. II: anthropometric data and personality profile. Funct Neurol 2000, 15:215–223.Google Scholar