Cluster headache: Diagnosis and treatment
- 71 Downloads
Cluster headache is a primary headache syndrome that is underdiagnosed and in many instances undertreated. The pain produced during a cluster headache is more severe than that generated by any other primary headache. Cluster headache is very stereotyped in its presentation and fairly easy to diagnose with an in depth headache history. Cluster headache is easy to treat in most individuals if the correct medications are used and the correct dosages are given. The following manuscript presents information on the clinical presentation of cluster headache and both medicinal and surgical interventions.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
References and Recommended Reading
- 10.Rozen TD, Niknam R, Shechter AL, et al.: Gender differences in clinical characteristics and treatment response in cluster headache patients. Cephalalgia 1999, 19:323.Google Scholar
- 14.Leone M, D’Amico D, Attanasio A, et al.: Verapamil is an effective prophylactic for cluster headache: results of a double blind multicenter study versus placebo. In Cluster Headache and Related Conditions. Edited by Olesen J, Goadsby PJ. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press; 1999:296–299.Google Scholar
- 17.Freitag FG, Diamond S, Diamond ML, et al.: Divalproex sodium in the preventative treatment of cluster headache. Headache 2000, 40:408.Google Scholar
- 19.Lainez MJ, Pascual J, Pascual AM, et al.: Topiramate in the prophylactic treatment of cluster headache. Headache 2003, 43:784–789. Topiramate is a newer antiepileptic compound that has shown efficacy in migraine headache; cluster headache; and short-lasting, unilateral, neuralgiform headache attacks with conjunctival injection and tearing (SUNCT) syndrome. The dosage needed to treat cluster headache appears to be lower than that needed to treat migraine.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 23.Leone M, Franzini A, Broggi G, Bussone G: Hypothalamic deep brain stimulation for intractable chronic cluster headache: a 3-year follow-up. Neurol Sci 2003, 24(Suppl 2):S143-S145. This article details an exciting new surgical treatment option for cluster headache. It suggests that truly understanding pathogenesis can lead to new treatment approaches.PubMedGoogle Scholar