Sclerostin: Therapeutic Horizons Based Upon Its Actions
- 817 Downloads
Inactivating mutations of the SOST gene cause a reduction in sclerostin levels and are associated with high bone mass. The clinical phenotypes, sclerosteosis and van Buchem’s disease, were described in 1950s. Much later, it was learned that both diseases are due to loss-of-function mutations in the SOST gene. As a regulator of an important osteoanabolic pathway, Wnt, inactivation of SOST leads to a stimulation of the pathway it regulates. The high bone mass in patients with either sclerosteosis or van Buchem’s disease is associated with unusual skeletal strength; they do not fracture. Knowledge of this molecule and its actions led rather quickly to the development of anti-sclerostin antibodies that lead to marked increases in bone mass in both animals and human subjects. Blocking sclerostin action with anti-sclerostin antibodies is a promising new therapeutic approach to osteoanabolic therapy of osteoporosis.
KeywordsSclerostin Sclerostin antibodies Osteoporosis
Conflicts of interest: A.G. Costa: none; J.P. Bilezikian: is on the Advisory Board for Amgen.
Papers of particular interest, published recently, have been highlighted as: •• Of major importance
- 2.NIH Consensus Development Panel on Osteoporosis Prevention. Diagnosis, and Therapy, March 7-29, 2000: highlights of the conference. South Med J. 2001;94:569–73.Google Scholar
- 3.United States. Public Health Service. Office of the Surgeon General. Bone health and osteoporosis : a report of the Surgeon General. Rockville, Md.: U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services, Public Health Service, Office of the Surgeon General; 2004. xxxii, 404 p. p.Google Scholar
- 36.Costa AG, Cremers S, Rubin MR et al. Circulating Sclerostin in Disorders of Parathyroid Gland Function. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2011. doi: 10.1210/jc.2011-0566.
- 47.Paes-Alves AF, Rubin JLC, Cardoso J, Rabelo MM. Sclerosteosis: a marker of Dutch ancestry. Rev Bras Genet. 1982;4:825–34.Google Scholar
- 55.van Lierop AH, Hamdy NA, Hamersma H et al. Patients with sclerosteosis and disease carriers: human models of the effect of sclerostin on bone turnover. J Bone Miner Res 2011. doi: 10.1002/jbmr.474.
- 58.Li C, Ominsky MS, Tan HL et al. Increased callus mass and enhanced strength during fracture healing in mice lacking the sclerostin gene. Bone 2011, doi: 10.1016/j.bone.2011.08.012.
- 60.•• Li X, Ominsky MS, Warmington KS et al. Sclerostin antibody treatment increases bone formation, bone mass, and bone strength in a rat model of postmenopausal osteoporosis. J Bone Miner Res 2009; 24:578-88. An important study of Scl-Ab in a postmenopausal rat model showing short-term improvements in bone mass and bone strength.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 61.•• Li X, Warmington KS, Niu QT et al. Inhibition of sclerostin by monoclonal antibody increases bone formation, bone mass, and bone strength in aged male rats. J Bone Miner Res 2010; 25:2647-56. In a male osteoporosis model, this study demonstrates changes in microarchitecture and bone strength resulting from Scl-Ab administration.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 62.•• Marenzana M, Greenslade K, Eddleston A et al. Sclerostin antibody treatment enhances bone strength but does not prevent growth retardation in young mice treated with dexamethasone. Arthritis Rheum 2011; 63:2385-95. A preclinical study showing positive skeletal results with Scl-Ab in glucocorticoid-induced bone loss.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 64.•• Ominsky MS, Vlasseros F, Jolette J et al. Two doses of sclerostin antibody in cynomolgus monkeys increases bone formation, bone mineral density, and bone strength. J Bone Miner Res 2010; 25:948-59. In this study, an anabolic effect on trabecular and cortical bone was demonstrated after only two doses of Scl-Ab in eugonadal female monkeys.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 65.•• Li X, Ominsky MS, Warmington KS et al. Increased bone formation and bone mass induced by sclerostin antibody is not affected by pretreatment or cotreatment with alendronate in osteopenic, ovariectomized rats. Endocrinology 2011; 152:3312-22. This article demonstrates efficacy of Scl-Ab at the level of bone mass in a postmenopausal rat model that is independent of recent or current use of bisphosphonate.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 71.Ominsky MS, Li C, Li X et al. Inhibition of sclerostin by monoclonal antibody enhances bone healing and improves bone density and strength of non-fractured bones. J Bone Miner Res 2010; doi: 10.1002/jbmr.307.
- 73.http://www.amgen.com/media/media_pr_detail.jsp?releaseID=1553039. Accessed on 09/09/2011.
- 74.htp://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00907296?term=amg+785&rank=1. In: acessed on 09/09/2011.Google Scholar
- 75.http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show?term=amg+785&rank=2. acessed on 09/09/2011.