Health-Care Worker Vaccination for Influenza: Strategies and Controversies
- First Online:
Influenza infections cause significant morbidity and mortality throughout the world, and vaccination rates of health-care workers remain well below target goals. Strategies for increasing vaccination rates include mandatory vaccination of health-care workers, mandatory declination, employee incentives, intensive education, increased access to vaccines, and the use of social media to inform employees of the safety and efficacy of vaccination. While these strategies in combination have been shown to be effective in increasing vaccination rates, personal and religious objections, as well as the potential for infringing on individual autonomy, remain challenges in our efforts to bring health-care worker vaccination rates up to target goals.
KeywordsInfluenza vaccination Mandatory vaccination Health-care worker vaccination Nosocomial influenza
Papers of particular interest, published recently, have been highlighted as: • Of importance •• Of major importance
- 1.MMWR: Estimates of Deaths associated with Seasonal Influenza- United States 1976-2007. Available at http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5933a1.htm. Accessed May 2012.
- 2.CDC: 2009-2010 Influenza Season Summary. Available at http://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/weeklyarchives2009-2010/09-10summary.htm. Accessed May 2012.
- 3.MMWR: Prevention and Control of Influenza with Vaccines. Available at http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/rr59e0729a1.htm?s_cid=rr59e0729a1_w. Accessed May 2012
- 13.CDC Final estimates for 2009–10 Seasonal Influenza and Influenza A (H1N1) 2009 Monovalent Vaccination Coverage – United States, August 2009 through May, 2010 http://www.cdc.gov/flu/professionals/vaccination/coverage_0910estimates.htm. Accessed June 2012.
- 23.ACP Policy on Influenza Vaccination of Health Care Workers. Available at http://www.acponline.org/clinical_information/resources/adult_immunization/. Accessed June 2012.
- 25.AAFP mandatory influenza vaccination of health care personnel (HCP). Available at http://www.aafp.org/online/en/home/clinical/immunizationres/influenza/mandatoryinfluenza.html Accessed June 2012.
- 26.•• APIC position paper: influenza vaccination should be a condition of employment for healthcare personnel, unless medically contraindicated. Available at http://www.apic.org/Resource_/TinyMceFileManager/Advocacy-PDFs/APIC_Influenza_Immunization_of_HCP_12711.PDF. Accessed June 2012. This is the APIC position paper supporting mandatory vaccinations of health care workers with rationale for the same.
- 27.IDSA policy on mandatory immunization of health care workers against seasonal and pandemic influenza. Available at http://www.idsociety.org/uploadedFiles/IDSA/Policy_and_Advocacy/Current_Topics_and_Issues/Immunizations_and_Vaccines/Health_Care_Worker_Immunization/Statements/IDSA%20Policy%20on%20Mandatory%20Immunization%20Revision%20083110.pdf. Accessed June 2012.
- 29.http://healthypeople.gov/2020/topicsobjectives2020/objectiveslist.aspx?topicId=23. Accessed June 2012.
- 30.Influenza vaccination information for health care workers. Accessed at http://www.cdc.gov/flu/healthcareworkers.htm Accessed June 2012.
- 35.• Talbot TR, Dellit TH, Hebden J, Sama D, Cuny J. Factors associated with increased vaccine healthcare worker influenza vaccination rates: results from a national survey of university hospitals and medical centers. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2010;31:456–62. A survey that identified strategies associated with higher vaccination rates among health care workers. PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 42.Huynh S, Poduska P, Mallozzi T, Culler F.: Mandatory influenza vaccination of health care workers: a first-year success implementation by a community health care system. Am J Infect Cont 2012:1-3.Google Scholar
- 47.Mandatory flu vaccine for health care workers: commissioner tells health care workers: mandatory flu vaccine is in the best interest of patients and workers. Available at http://www.health.ny.gov/press/releases/2009/2009-09-24_health_care_worker_vaccine_daines_oped.htm. Accessed June 2012
- 48.New York judge puts hold on mandatory flu shots. Available at http://edition.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/10/16/new.york.vaccine.mandate/index.html Accessed June 9 2012 Suspension of Flu Vaccine mandate for Health Care Workers. Available at http://www.health.ny.gov/diseases/communicable/influenza/seasonal/providers/2009-10-23_suspension_of_mandatory_influenza_immunization.htm. Accessed June 2012.