Atrial fibrillation and congestive heart failure
- First Online:
- 105 Downloads
Atrial fibrillation (AF) and congestive heart failure (CHF) are common cardiac conditions that frequently coexist. There is a complex interplay between the two conditions, with each increasing the morbidity and mortality associated with the other. The management of AF in patients with CHF requires special care because of the increased risk of antiarrhythmic drug therapy in the group. This report reviews current treatment options and assesses the role of the newer therapies of biventricular pacing for CHF and radiofrequency ablation for AF. It also discusses results of the AF-CHF study, which were reported in November 2007.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
References and Recommended Reading
- 8.Dries DL, Exner DV, Gersh BJ, et al.: Atrial fibrillation is associated with an increased risk for mortality and heart failure progression in patients with asymptomatic and symptomatic left ventricular systolic dysfunction: a retrospective analysis of the SOLVD trials. Studies of Left Ventricular Dysfunction. J Am Coll Cardiol 1998, 32:695–703.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Boyle NG, Wang X, Hepner A, et al.: Survival in patients with atrial fibrillation and advanced heart failure [abstract]. Circulation 2002, 106:II–681.Google Scholar
- 11.Fuster V, Ryden LE, Cannom DS, et al.: ACC/AHA/ESC 2006 Guidelines for the Management of Patients with Atrial Fibrillation: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines and the European Society of Cardiology Committee for Practice Guidelines (Writing Committee to Revise the 2001 Guidelines for the Management of Patients With Atrial Fibrillation): developed in collaboration with the European Heart Rhythm Association and the Heart Rhythm Society. Circulation 2006, 114:e257–e354. [Published erratum appears in Circulation 2007, 116:e138.]PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 22.Pedersen OD, Brendorp B, Elming H, et al.: Does conversion and prevention of atrial fibrillation enhance survival in patients with left ventricular dysfunction? Evidence from the Danish Investigations of Arrhythmia and Mortality ON Dofetilide/(DIAMOND) study. Card Electrophysiol Rev 2003, 7:220–224.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 24.Rationale and design of a study assessing treatment strategies of atrial fibrillation in patients with heart failure: the Atrial Fibrillation and Congestive Heart Failure (AF-CHF) trial. Am Heart J 2002, 144:597–607.Google Scholar
- 25.Roy D: The Atrial Fibrillation and Congestive Heart Failure (AF-CHF) Trial. Presented at American Heart Association 2007 Scientific Sessions. Orlando; November 4–7, 2007. Available at http://scientificsessions.americanheart.org/portal/scientificsessions/ss/lbctnr9a.2007. Accessed January 25, 2007.
- 37.Padeletti L: Atrial fibrillation in heart failure patients implanted with a cardiac resynchronization therapy device: 1-year results of the randomized MASCOT study. Presented at American Heart Association 2007 Scientific Sessions. Orlando; November 4–7, 2007. Available at http://scientificsessions.americanheart.org/portal/secintificsessions/ss/lbctnr10.2007. Accessed November 6, 2007.