Job Competencies of Border Security Officers in Singapore
Border security officers are a country’s first line of defense against undesirable people, cargo, and conveyances. Operational lapses could therefore greatly undermine the safety and security of the country. As such, informed understanding of border security officers’ competencies is crucial to ensure that the right individuals are selected for the job. An exploratory job analysis study was conducted with Singapore’s border security officers to identify the knowledge, skills, abilities, and other characteristics (KSAOs) essential for effective job performance. Data collection for this study includes collection of qualitative data on border security officers’ job functions, tasks, and KSAOs required. The information was subsequently compiled into a Job Analysis Survey (JAS), where officers were asked to rate the KSAOs in terms of their importance and frequency of use in border security work. Results indicated that the major job functions performed by non-supervisory officers include primary immigration clearance of travelers and goods, while those performed by supervisory officers include secondary clearance and people management. Analysis of the list of KSAOs derived from the Job Analysis results revealed that there was generally a large overlap of KSAOs essential for both non-supervisory and supervisory officers to perform their job well. Some differences were observed as well due to the slightly different nature of work undertaken by the two groups of officers. The results of the present study along with its implications were further explored in the paper.
KeywordsJob analysis Singapore border security Immigration KSAOs Selection Exploratory study
No funding was required for the conduct of this research.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
In line with the Ethical Standards required of the journal, and in compliance with the Committee on Publication Ethics (COPE) guidelines, the following have been put in place in the conduct of this research.
Conflict of Interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
All procedures performed in studies involving human participants were in accordance with the ethical standards of the institutional and/or national research committee and with the 1964 Helsinki declaration and its later amendments or comparable ethical standards.
Informed consent was obtained from all individual participants included in the study.
- Air Hub (2018) Retrieved from http://www.changiairport.com/corporate/our-expertise/air-hub.html. Accessed 14 Dec 2018
- California Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training (1999) Entry-level uniformed patrol officer job analysis. Retrieved from http://lib.post.ca.gov/Publications/56045188.pdf. Accessed 14 Dec 2018
- Cumings L, Coryn CLS (2009) A job analysis for K-8 principals in a nationwide charter school system. Journal of Multidisciplinary Evaluation 6(12):157–176Google Scholar
- Foster MR (2005) Effective job analysis methods. In Condrey, S. E. (Ed.), Handbook of Human Resources Management in Government Google Scholar
- IATA (2018) Traveler Numbers Reach New Heights. Retrieved from https://www.iata.org/pressroom/pr/Pages/2018-09-06%2D%2D01.aspx. Accessed 14 Dec 2018
- ICA Annual (2017) Retrieved from https://www.ica.gov.sg/cms/files/ica_annual_2017.pdf. Accessed 14 Dec 2018
- Meloun JM (2008) Job analysis: the basis of all things H.R. Handbook of hospitality human resources management. Elsevier, OxfordGoogle Scholar
- Ng J (2016) Guardians of our borders: Frontline ICA officers give their all. Retrieved from https://www.hometeam.sg/article.aspx?news_sid=20160205A2TJzd83TYIt. Accessed 14 Dec 2018
- O*Net Online (2018) Summary report for immigration and customs inspectors. Retrieved from https://www.onetonline.org/link/summary/33-3021.15. Accessed 14 Dec 2018
- Paullin C, Sinclair AL, Moriarty KO, Vasilopoulos NL, Campbell RC, Russell TL (2011) Army officer job analysis: identifying performance requirements to inform officer selection and assignment. Retrieved from www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA548872. Accessed 14 Dec 2018
- Prien EP, Goodstein LD, Goodstein J, Gamble LG (2009) A practical guide to job analysis. Pfeiffer, San Francisco, CAGoogle Scholar
- Singapore Tourism Board (2018) Tourism Statistics 2017. Retrieved from https://www.stb.gov.sg/statistics-and-market-insights/marketstatistics. Accessed 14 Dec 2018
- The World Factbook (2018) Retrieved from https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/sn.html. Accessed 14 Dec 2018
- Top 50 World Container Ports (2018) Retrieved from http://www.worldshipping.org/about-the-industry/global-trade/top-50-world-container-ports. Accessed 14 Dec 2018