The vicious cycle of diabetes and pregnancy
- 78 Downloads
The offspring of women with diabetes during pregnancy are at high risk of developing diabetes before they reach childbearing age, resulting in a vicious cycle of diabetes and pregnancy. New cases of diabetes enter the cycle as a result of the effects of the increasing obesity among our youth. Solutions need to be found to break this cycle by preventing diabetes or delaying its onset until later in life and by normalizing glucose regulation during pregnancy.
KeywordsNormalize Glucose Regulation Normal Oral Glucose Tolerance Test Preprandial Blood Glucose Estational Diabetes Mellitus Uring Pregnancy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
References and Recommended Reading
- 1.Pettitt DJ, Knowler WC: Diabetes and obesity in the Pima Indians: a cross-generational vicious cycle. J Obesity Weight Regulation 1988, 7:61–75.Google Scholar
- 6.Dabelea D, Pettitt DJ: Intrauterine diabetic environment confers risks for type 2 diabetes mellitus and obesity in the offspring, in addition to genetic susceptibility. J Pediatr Endocrinol Metabol 2001, 14:1085–1091.Google Scholar
- 28.Classification and diagnosis of diabetes mellitus and other categories of glucose intolerance. National Diabetes Data Group [no authors listed]. Diabetes 1979, 28:1039–1057.Google Scholar
- 29.WHO Study Group: Prevention of Diabetes Mellitus. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization; 1994. WHO Technical Report Series, No. 844.Google Scholar
- 34.Jovanovic L, Peterson CM, Reed GF, et al.: Maternal postprandial glucose levels and infant birth weight: the Diabetes in Early Pregnancy Study. The National Institute of Child Health and Human Development-Diabetes in Early Pregnancy Study. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1991, 164:103–111.Google Scholar
- 35.Jovanovic-Peterson L, Bevier W, Peterson CM: The Santa Barbara County Health Care Services program: Birth weight change concomitant with screening for and treatment of glucose-intolerance of pregnancy: a potential cost-effective intervention. Am J Perinatol 1997, 14:221–228.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 36.Wyatt JW, Frias JL, Hoyme HE, et al.: Congenital anomaly rate in offspring of pre-gestational diabetic women treated with insulin lispro during pregnancy. Diabet Med 2004, 21:2001–2007.Google Scholar