Role of Cardiac CT Before Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation (TAVI)
- 665 Downloads
Catheter-based aortic valve implantation is increasingly being performed in high-risk patients with symptomatic aortic valve stenosis. For successful planning of the procedure, CT has been shown to provide crucial information concerning the aortic root as well as the peripheral access vessels. This article illustrates the increasing role of CT before transcatheter aortic valve implantation.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of Interest
Mohamed Marwan receives speaker honoraria from Edwards Lifesciences.
Stephan Achenbach declares that he has no conflict of interest.
Human and Animal Rights and Informed Consent
This article does not contain any studies with human or animal subjects performed by any of the authors.
Papers of particular interest, published recently, have been highlighted as: •Of importance ••Of major importance
- 1.•Wuest W, Anders K, Schuhbaeck A, et al. Dual source multidetector CT-angiography before transcatheter aortic valve implantation (TAVI) using a high-pitch spiral acquisition mode. Eur Radiol. 2012;22(1):51–8. This study provides a practical acquisition protocol for pre-TAVI imaging. CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 2.Willson AB, Webb JG, Labounty TM, et al. 3-dimensional aortic annular assessment by multidetector computed tomography predicts moderate or severe paravalvular regurgitation after transcatheter aortic valve replacement: a multicenter retrospective analysis. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2012;59:1287–94.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 4.Murphy DT, Blanke P, Alaamri S, et al. Dynamism of the aortic annulus: effect of diastolic versus systolic CT annular measurements on device selection in transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR). J Cardiovasc Comput Tomogr. 2015 Jul 26.Google Scholar
- 5.••Achenbach S, Delgado V, Hausleiter J, et al. SCCT expert consensus document on computed tomography imaging before transcatheter aortic valve implantation (TAVI)/transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR). J Cardiovasc Comput Tomogr. 2012;6(6):366–80. This document provides detailed information about the importance of CT for pre-TAVI imaging. CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 9.Jilaihawi H, Kashif M, Fontana G, et al. Cross-sectional computed tomographic assessment improves accuracy of aortic annular sizing for transcatheter aortic valve replacement and reduces the incidence of paravalvular aortic regurgitation. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2012;59:1275–86.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 11.••Barbanti M, Yang TH, Rodès Cabau J, et al. Anatomical and procedural features associated with aortic root rupture during balloon-expandable transcatheter aortic valve replacement. Circulation. 2013;128(3):244–53. This study provides important information about risk factors for potential life-threatening complications in TAVI patients. CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar