Preconditioners based on windowed Fourier frames applied to elliptic partial differential equations
- 273 Downloads
We investigate the application of windowed Fourier frames to the numerical solution of partial differential equations, focussing on elliptic equations. The action of a partial differential operator (PDO) on a windowed plane wave is close to a multiplication, where the multiplication factor is given by the symbol of the PDO evaluated at the wave number and central position of the windowed plane wave. This can be exploited in a preconditioning method for use in iterative inversion. For domains with periodic boundary conditions we find that the condition number with the preconditioning becomes bounded and the iteration converges well. For problems with a Dirichlet boundary condition, some large and small singular values remain. However the iterative inversion still appears to converge well.
KeywordsWindowed Fourier frame Symbol Elliptic PDE Preconditioner
This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial License which permits any noncommercial use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author(s) and source are credited.
- 1.Serge A., Patrick G.: Pseudo-Differential Operators and the Nash-Moser Theorem. American Mathematical Society, USA (2005)Google Scholar
- 2.Nakhle H.A.: Partial Differential Equations with Fourier Series and Boundary Value Problems, 2nd edn. Pearson, Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs (2005)Google Scholar
- 6.Ole C.: An Introduction to Frames and Riesz Bases. Birkhauser, Basel (2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Albert, C.: Numerical Analysis of Wavelet Methods. Studies in Mathematics and its Applications, vol. 32. North-Holland Publishing Co., Amsterdam (2003)Google Scholar
- 8.Ingrid, D.: Ten Lectures on Wavelets. SIAM (1992)Google Scholar
- 9.Laurent, D., Lexing, Y.: Discrete symbol calculus. Technical Report arXiv:0807.0257, Jul 2008. Comments: 32 pagesGoogle Scholar
- 10.Lawrence, C.E.: Partial Differential Equations. AMS (1998)Google Scholar
- 15.Carl, D.M.: Matrix Analysis and Applied Linear Algebra. SIAM (2000)Google Scholar
- 17.Alfio, Q., Riccardo, S., Fausto, S.: Numerical Mathematics. Texts in Applied Mathematics, vol. 37. Springer, Berlin (2000)Google Scholar
- 19.Trottenberg, U., Oosterlee, C.W., Schüller, A.: Multigrid. Academic Press San Diego (2001). With contributions by A. Brandt, P. Oswald and K. StübenGoogle Scholar
- 21.Wong M.W.: An Introduction to Pseudodifferential Operators. World Scientific, Singapore (1991)Google Scholar