Identity resources and mathematics teaching identity: an exploratory study
Previous studies have reported the influence of professional development (PD) on participating teachers’ identities. However, what goes on in PDs, how and why they shape particular identities require further investigation. This study contributes in this direction by drawing on the notions of practice-linked identities and identity resources to examine how two teachers’ mathematics teaching identities developed following their interactions with the resources offered in a particular PD. We argue that their developing mathematics teaching identities appeared to be linked to their backgrounds and initial motivations for joining the PD, which in turn influenced their selective interaction with resources. Implications for research and PD are discussed.
KeywordsPractice-linked identity resources Professional development Mathematics teachers identity
This work is based on the research supported by the South African Research Chairs Initiative of the Department of Science and Technology and National Research Foundation (Grant No. 71218). Any opinion, finding and conclusion or recommendation expressed in this material is that of the author(s) and the NRF does not accept any liability in this regard. The authors thank reviewers for critical feedback, and extend gratitude to the teachers who generously opened themselves and their classrooms and so contribute to this research.
- Adler, J. (2000). Conceptualising resources as a theme for teacher education. Journal of Mathematics Teacher Education, 3(1996), 205–224.Google Scholar
- Adler, J. (2017). Mathematics discourse in instruction (MDI): A discursive resource as boundary object across practices. In G. Kaiser (Ed.), 13th International Congress on Mathematical Education, ICME-13 (Proceedings of the Monographs, pp. 125–143). Hamburg: Springer.Google Scholar
- Alexander, R. (2000). Culture and Pedagogy: International Comparisons in Primary Education. Oxford: Blackwell.Google Scholar
- Battey, D., & Franke, M. L. (2008). Transforming identities: Understanding teachers across professional development and classroom practice. Teacher Education Quarterly, 106, 127–149.Google Scholar
- Darragh, L. (2016). Identity research in mathematics education. Educational Studies in Mathematics, 1–15.Google Scholar
- development. In J. Cai (Ed.). First Compendium for Research in Mathematics Education. Reston: National Council of Teachers of Mathematics.Google Scholar
- Graven, M. H., & Lerman, S. (2014). Mathematics teacher identity. In S. Lerman (Ed.), Encyclopedia of mathematics education (pp. 434–437). Dordrecht:Springer.Google Scholar
- Sztajn, P., Borko, H., & Smith, T. (2017). Research on mathematics professional development. In J. Cai (Ed.), Compendium for research in mathematics education (pp. 793–823). Reston, VA: National Council of Teachers of Mathematics.Google Scholar
- Vygotsky, L. S. (1978). Mind in society: The development of higher psychological processes. Cambridge: Harvard University Press.Google Scholar