Universal actions and representations of locally finite groups on metric spaces
- 9 Downloads
We construct a universal action of a countable locally finite group (the Hall group) on a separable metric space by isometries. This single action contains all actions of all countable locally finite groups on all separable metric spaces as subactions. The main ingredient is the amalgamation of actions by isometries. We show that an equivalence class of this universal action is generic.
We show that the restriction to locally finite groups in our results is necessary as analogous results do not hold for infinite non-locally finite groups.
We discuss the problem also for actions by linear isometries on Banach spaces.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Y. Benyamini and J. Lindenstrauss, Geometric Nonlinear Functional Analysis. Vol. 1., American Mathematical Society Colloquium Publications, Vol. 48, American Mathematical Society, Providence, RI, 2000.Google Scholar
- M. Doucha and M. Malicki, Generic representations of countable groups, arXiv:1710.08170 [math.GR].Google Scholar
- W. Hodges, Model Theory, Encyclopedia of Mathematics and its Applications, Vol. 42, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1993.Google Scholar
- R. C. Lyndon and P. E. Schupp, Combinatorial Group Theory, Ergebnisse der Mathematik und ihrer Grenzgebiete, Vol. 89, Springer, Berlin–New York, 1977.Google Scholar
- B. H. Neumann, Permutational products of groups, Journal of the Australian Mathematical Society 1 (1959/1960), 299–310.Google Scholar
- V. Pestov, Dynamics of Infinite-Dimensional Groups, University Lecture Series, Vol. 40, American Mathematical Society, Providence, RI, 2006.Google Scholar