Homology of the family of hyperelliptic curves
- 4 Downloads
Homology of braid groups and Artin groups can be related to the study of spaces of curves. We completely calculate the integral homology of the family of smooth curves of genus g with one boundary component, that are double coverings of the disk ramified over n = 2g+1 points. The main part of such homology is described by the homology of the braid group with coefficients in a symplectic representation, namely the braid group Brn acts on the first homology group of a genus g surface via Dehn twists. Our computations show that such groups have only 2-torsion. We also investigate stabilization properties and provide Poincaré series, for both unstable and stable homology.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Bia16]A. Bianchi, Embeddings of braid groups into mapping class groups, Master Thesis, University of Pisa, 2016 https://doi.org/etd.adm.unipi.it/t/etd-06172016-101920/ .Google Scholar
- [Bri73]E. Brieskorn, Sur les groupes de tresses [d’après V. I. Arnol'd], in Séminaire Bourbaki, 24ème année (1971/1972), Exp. No. 401, Lecture Notes in Mathematics, Vol. 317, Springer, Berlin, 1973, pp. 21–44.Google Scholar
- [Coh76]F. R. Cohen, The homology of Cn+1-spaces, n ≥ 0, in The Homology of Iterated Loop Spaces, Lecture Notes in Mathematics, Vol. 533, Springer-Verlag, Berlin–New York, 1976, pp. 207–353.Google Scholar
- [Coh88]F. R. Cohen, Artin’s braid groups, classical homotopy theory, and sundry other curiosities, in Braids (Santa Cruz, CA, 1986), Contemporary Mathematics, Vol. 78, American Mathematical Society, Providence, RI, 1988, pp. 167–206.Google Scholar
- [MSV12]D. Moroni, M. Salvetti and A. Villa, Some topological problems on the configuration spaces of Artin and Coxeter groups, in Configuration Spaces, Centro di Ricerca Matematica Ennio de Giorgi Series, Vol. 14, Edizioni della Scuola Normale di Pisa, Pisa, 2012, pp. 403–431.Google Scholar
- [Vas92]V. A. Vassiliev, Complements of Discriminants of Smooth Maps: Topology and Applications, Translations of Mathematical Monographs, Vol. 98, American Mathematical Society, Providence, RI, 1992.Google Scholar