Legendre polynomials and Ramanujan-type series for 1/π
- 237 Downloads
We resolve a family of recently observed identities involving 1/π using the theory of modular forms and hypergeometric series. In particular, we resort to a formula of Brafman which relates a generating function of the Legendre polynomials to a product of two Gaussian hypergeometric functions. Using our methods, we also derive some new Ramanujan-type series.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- B. C. Berndt, Ramanujan’s Notebooks, Part V, Springer-Verlag, New York, 1997.Google Scholar
- H. H. Chan, Ramanujan’s elliptic functions to alternative bases and approximations to π, in Number Theory for the Millennium, I, Urbana, IL, 2000, A K Peters, Natick, MA, 2002, pp. 197–213.Google Scholar
- D. V. Chudnovsky and G. V. Chudnovsky, Approximations and complex multiplication according to Ramanujan, in Ramanujan revisited, Urbana-Champaign, IL, 1987, Academic Press, Boston, MA, 1988, pp. 375–472.Google Scholar
- S. Ramanujan, Modular equations and approximations to π, The Quarterly Journal of Mathematics 45 (1914), 350–372.Google Scholar
- Z.-W. Sun, List of conjectural series for powers of π and other constants, preprint, arXiv: 1102.5649v21 [math.CA], May 23, 2011.Google Scholar