On maximal subgroups of free idempotent generated semigroups
- 144 Downloads
We prove the following results: (1) Every group is a maximal subgroup of some free idempotent generated semigroup. (2) Every finitely presented group is a maximal subgroup of some free idempotent generated semigroup arising from a finite semigroup. (3) Every group is a maximal subgroup of some free regular idempotent generated semigroup. (4) Every finite group is a maximal subgroup of some free regular idempotent generated semigroup arising from a finite regular semigroup. As a technical prerequisite for these results we establish a general presentation for the maximal subgroups based on a Reidemeister-Schreier type rewriting.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- M. Brittenham, S. W. Margolis and J. Meakin, Subgroups of free idempotent generated semigroups: full linear monoids, arXiv: 1009.5683.Google Scholar
- The GAP Group, GAP — Groups, Algorithms, and Programming, Version 4.4.12; 2008 (http://www.gap-system.org).
- G. Havas, Symbolic and algebraic calculation, Basser Computing Dept., Technical Report, Vol. 89, Basser Department of Computer Science, University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia, 1969.Google Scholar
- G. Havas, P. E. Kenne, J. S. Richardson and E. F. Robertson, A Tietze transformation program, in Computational Group Theory (M.D. Atkinson, ed.), Proceedings of LMS Symposium on Computational Group Theory, Durham 1982, Academic Press, New York, 1984.Google Scholar
- K. S. S. Nambooripad, Structure of regular semigroups. I, Memoirs of the American Mathematical Society 224 (1979).Google Scholar