A removal lemma for systems of linear equations over finite fields
- 196 Downloads
We prove a removal lemma for systems of linear equations over finite fields: let X 1, …, X m be subsets of the finite field F q and let A be a (k × m) matrix with coefficients in F q ; if the linear system Ax = b has o(q m−k ) solutions with x i ∈ X i , then we can eliminate all these solutions by deleting o(q) elements from each X i . This extends a result of Green [Geometric and Functional Analysis 15 (2) (2005), 340–376] for a single linear equation in abelian groups to systems of linear equations. In particular, we also obtain an analogous result for systems of equations over integers, a result conjectured by Green. Our proof uses the colored version of the hypergraph Removal Lemma.
KeywordsAbelian Group Arithmetic Progression Colored Version Combinatorial Proof Regularity Lemma
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- P. Candela, Developments at the interface between combinatorics and Fourier analysis, Ph. D. Thesis, University of Cambridge, 2009.Google Scholar
- J. Komlós and M. Simonovits, Szemerédi’s regularity lemma and its applications in graph theory, in Combinatorics, Paul Erdős is Eighty, Vol. 2 (Keszthely, 1993), Bolyai Soc. Math. Stud., 2, János Bolyai Math Soc., Budapest, 1996, pp. 295–352.Google Scholar
- J. Komlós, A. Shokoufandeh, M. Simonovits and E. Szemerédi, The regularity lemma and its applications in graph theory, in Theoretical Aspects of Computer Science (Tehran, 2000), Lecture Notes in Comput. Sci., 2292, Springer, Berlin, 2002, pp. 84–112.Google Scholar
- D. Král’, O. Serra and L. Vena, A removal lemma for linear systems over finite fields, in Proc. VI Jornadas Matemàtica Discreta y Algorítmica, Ediciones y Publicaciones de la UdL, 2008, pp. 417–424.Google Scholar
- I. Z. Ruzsa and E. Szemerédi, Triple systems with no six points carrying three triangles, in Combinatorics (Proc. Fifth Hungarian Colloq., Keszthely, 1976), Vol. II, Colloq. Math. Soc. János Bolyai, 18, North-Holland, Amsterdam-New York, 1978, pp. 939–945.Google Scholar
- A. Shapira, Green’s conjecture and testing linear-invariant properties, in Proceedings of the 41st Annual ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing, STOC 2009, Bethesda, MD, USA, 31 May–2 June, 2009 (M. Mitzenmacher eds., ACM, New York, 2009).Google Scholar
- E. Szemerédi, On sets of integers containing no k elements in arithmetic progression, Acta Arithmetica 27 (1975), 299–345.Google Scholar