Prevalence of pulmonary hypertension in systemic lupus erythematosus: a meta-analysis
Background and aims
Pulmonary hypertension (PH) has been suggested to be associated with systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE). However, the results of prevalence studies on PH in SLE vary substantially. To derive a more precise estimation on the prevalence of PH in SLE, a meta-analysis was performed.
Relevant literatures were searched in PubMed and EMBASE until November 2017. A total of 1366 articles were obtained after searching databases, and 23 studies were finally included in the meta-analysis. Heterogeneity test was performed, and publication bias was evaluated.
The result of analysis in random effect model showed that the pooled prevalence was 8% (95%CI 5–12%). There was no evidence of publication bias (p = 0.51). To evaluate the stability of our results, sensitivity analyses were performed, and the results showed no significant change when any one study was excluded. Subgroup analyses demonstrated that there were significant differences in PH prevalence in SLE patients of different gender, age, regions, year of publication, and diagnostic methods.
PH is prevalent in SLE patients, but it was significantly different between different gender, age, regions, year of publication, and diagnostic methods.
KeywordsMeta-analysis Prevalence study Pulmonary hypertension Systemic lupus erythematosus
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
- 2.Perez-Penate GM, Rua-Figueroa I, Julia-Serda G, Leon-Marrero F, Garcia-Quintana A, Ortega-Trujillo JR et al (2016) Pulmonary arterial hypertension in systemic lupus erythematosus: prevalence and predictors. J Rheumatol 43(2):323–329. https://doi.org/10.3899/jrheum.150451 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 9.Charoenpan P, Sukumalchantra Y, Ayuthya WI (1977) Pulmonary hypertension in systemic lupus erythematosus: a case report. J Med Assoc Thail 60:670–675Google Scholar
- 16.Charles H (2004) Pulmonary hypertension associated with systemic lupus erythematosus. Bulletin De Lacadémie Nationale De Médecine 188:985–997 discussion 997Google Scholar
- 19.Vandenbroucke JP, von Elm E, Altman DG, Gøtzsche PC, Mulrow CD, Pocock SJ, Poole C, Schlesselman JJ, Egger M, STROBE Initiative (2007) Strengthening the Reporting of Observational Studies in Epidemiology (STROBE): explanation and elaboration. Epidemiology 18(6):805–835. https://doi.org/10.1097/EDE.Ob013e3181577511 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 20.Luo ML, Tan HZ, Zhou Q et al (2013) Realizing the meta-analysis of single rate in R software. The. J Evid -Based Med 13(3):181–184Google Scholar
- 23.Elias Badui, David Garcia-Rubi, Elsa Robles, Javier Jimenez, Lourdes Juan, Margarita Deleze, et al. (1985) Cardiovascular manifestations in systemic lupus erythematosus. Prospective study of 100 patients. Angiology-Journal of Vascular Diseases 431–442Google Scholar
- 25.Chung SM, Lee CK, Lee EY, Yoo B, Lee SD, Moon HB (2006) Clinical aspects of pulmonary hypertension in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus and in patients with idiopathic pulmonary arterial hypertension. Clin Rheumatol 25(6):866–872. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10067-006-0206-5 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 31.Cefle A, Inanc M, Sayarlioglu M, Kamali S, Gul A, Ocal L, Aral O, Konice M (2011) Pulmonary hypertension in systemic lupus erythematosus: relationship with antiphospholipid antibodies and severe disease outcome. Rheumatol Int 31(2):183–189. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00296-009-1255-2 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 32.Akdogan A, Kilic L, Dogan I, Okutucu S, Er E, Kaya B, Coplu L, Calguneri M, Tokgozoglu L, Ertenli I (2013) Pulmonary hypertension in systemic lupus erythematosus: pulmonary thromboembolism is the leading cause. J Clin Rheumatol 19(8):421–425. https://doi.org/10.1097/RHU.0000000000000037 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 34.Li M, Wang Q, Zhao J, Li Z, Ye Z, Li C, Li X, Zhu P, Wang Z, Zheng Y, Li X, Zhang M, Tian Z, Liu Y, He J, Zhang F, Zhao Y, Zeng X, CSTAR co-authors (2014) Chinese SLE Treatment and Research group (CSTAR) registry: II. Prevalence and risk factors of pulmonary arterial hypertension in Chinese patients with systemic lupus erythematosus. Lupus 23(10):1085–1091. https://doi.org/10.1177/0961203314527366 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 36.Ki-Jo KIM, In-Woon BAEK, Yune-Jung PARK, Chong-Hyeon YOON, Wan-Uk KIM, CHO C-S (2015) High levels of uric acid in systemic lupus erythematosus is associated with pulmonary hypertension. International Journal of Rheumatic Diseases 524–532Google Scholar
- 39.Hachulla E, Jais X, Cinquetti G, Clerson P, Rottat L, Launay D, et al. (2017) Pulmonary arterial hypertension associated with systemic lupus erythematosus: results from the French Pulmonary Hypertension Registry. ChestGoogle Scholar
- 40.Ghofraniha L, Mirfeizi Z, Khabbaz FS, Vakilian F, Eslami S (2017) Correlation of echocardiographic findings of pulmonary hypertension with six-minute walk test and plasma pro b-type natriuretic peptide level in systemic lupus erythematous. Electron Physician 9(8):5122–5128CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 41.Luo RQ, Lei YX, Zhang X, Fei L (2008) Clinical analysis of patients with systemic lupus erythematosus and concomitant pulmonary hypertension. J South Med Univ 28:1860–1863Google Scholar
- 42.Xing Y, Song HM, Wu XY, He YY, Min W (2008) Clinical analysis and pulmonary arterial hypertension secondary to connective tissue disease in children. CLIN J Pedistr 46:822–826Google Scholar
- 43.Ye D, Pan F, Zhang K, Li X, Xu J, Hao J (2006) A novel single-nucleotide polymorphism of the Fcgamma receptor IIIa gene is associated with genetic susceptibility to systemic lupus erythematosus in Chinese populations: a family-based association study. Clin Exp Dermatol 31(4):553–557. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2230.2006.02133.x CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 44.Li-Ju Chen, Hung-Chou Chang, Ling-Ying Lu, Jui-Cheng Tseng, Jui-Chieh Hu, Chien-Kai Kau, et al(2004) Prolonged survival after single lung transplantation for pulmonary hypertension secondary to systemic lupus erythematosus. J Chin Med Assoc 248-251Google Scholar
- 45.Humbert M, Sitbon O, Chaouat A, Bertocchi M, Habib G, Gressin V, Yaici A, Weitzenblum E, Cordier JF, Chabot F, Dromer C, Pison C, Reynaud-Gaubert M, Haloun A, Laurent M, Hachulla E, Simonneau G (2006) Pulmonary arterial hypertension in France: results from a national registry. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 173(9):1023–1030. https://doi.org/10.1164/rccm.200510-1668OC CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 47.Mukerjee D, St George D, Knight C, Davar J, Wells AU, du Bois RM, Black CM, Coghlan JG (2004) Echocardiography and pulmonary function as screening tests for pulmonary arterial hypertension in systemic sclerosis. Rheumatology 43(4):461–466. https://doi.org/10.1093/rheumatology/keh067 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar