High-Temperature Nanoindentation of SiC/SiC Composites
- 62 Downloads
The results of high-temperature nanoindentation testing on both a control and a neutron-irradiated silicon carbide matrix silicon carbide fiber composite sample are presented. The mechanical properties of the chemical vapor-infiltrated matrix were observed to have slightly increased in hardness and slightly decreased in elastic modulus after irradiation. Tyranno SA3 fiber behavior results are inconclusive, possibly because residual graphite in the fibers resulting from the manufacturing process produced a large scatter in the data. This work also demonstrates the capability to measure the individual components of fabricated composites at elevated temperature, which should provide inputs for modeling the macro-scale behavior of the composites.
The authors would like to thank the Nuclear Science User Facilities (NSUF) rapid turnaround experiment (RTE) Award Number 752 for funding this research. In addition, the authors would like to thank the NEUP Program DE-NE0008768 for supporting this work. The irradiation of the SiC/SiC composite material used for this work was funded by General Atomics internal research and development support. The authors would like to thank Yutai Katoh of Oak Ridge National Laboratory for providing macro-scale swelling data for the irradiated SiC/SiC material studied in this work. The authors would also like to thank Mr. Richard Frazer for a thorough read through of the manuscript.
- 5.Y. Katoh, L.L. Snead, C.H. Henager jr, T. Nozawa, T. Hinoki, A. Ivekovic, S. Novak, and S.M. Gonzalez de Vicente, J. Nucl. Mater. 455, 387 (2014).Google Scholar
- 14.T. Noda, M. Fujita, H. Araki, and A. Kohyama, Fusion Eng. Des. 99, 51 (2000).Google Scholar
- 15.T. Ishikawa, Adv. Polym. Sci. (2005).Google Scholar
- 24.L.W. Yang, H.T. Liu, and H.F. Cheng, Compos. Part B.Google Scholar
- 25.J. Kabel, M. Balooch, D. Frazer, C. Deck, T. Koyanagi, K. Terrani, and P. Hosemann, International Congress on Advances in Nuclear Power Plants, ICAPP 2 (2016), pp. 911.Google Scholar
- 26.M.C. Osborne, J.C. Hay, L.L Snead, and D. Steiner, J. Am. Ceram. Soc. 82, (1999).Google Scholar