Scandium Extraction from Nickel Processing Waste Using Cyanex 923 in Sulfuric Medium
- 29 Downloads
Extraction of scandium (Sc) from nickel processing residue using Cyanex 923 was studied. Cyanex 923 showed better selectivity for Sc compared with the other metallic components in the residue. Scandium was extracted by solvent extraction via a solvation mechanism. The aqueous-to-organic (A/O) phase ratio was set at 1:2. An increase in the scandium extraction rate was observed when increasing the concentration of H+. Cyanex 923 was shown to be more selective for Sc than Fe. Coextracted Fe was removed from the organic phase by 3 mol L−1 H2SO4 scrubbing with Sc loss of 1.3%. Stripping of scandium from the organic phase of 84.3% was achieved using 4% oxalic acid solution. The precipitated scandium oxalate was recovered by filtration and calcination. The obtained scandium oxide presented minimum purity of 99.0%.
Financial support for this study was provided by the São Paulo Research Foundation (FAPESP—Grant 2012/51871-9). This study was partly financed by the Coordination for the Improvement of Higher Education Personnel—Brazil (CAPES) Finance Code 001. The authors thank Ana Carolina Fadel Dalsin for her help on the project.
- 2.U.S. Geological Survey, Mineral Commodity Summaries 2015 (2015). https://minerals.usgs.gov/minerals/pubs/mcs/2015/mcs2015.pdf/. Accessed 31 Jan 2018.
- 3.U.S. Geological Survey, Mineral Commodity Summaries 2013 (2013). https://minerals.usgs.gov/minerals/pubs/mcs/2013/mcs2013.pdf/. Accessed 31 Jan 2018.
- 4.J. Gambogi, Minerals Yearbook Rare Earths (2015). https://minerals.usgs.gov/minerals/pubs/commodity/rare_earths/myb1-2014-raree.pdf/. Accessed 23 Nov 2017.
- 9.W. Wang, Y. Pranolo, and C. Cheng, Metall. Sci Technol. 25, 11 (2007).Google Scholar
- 13.Cytec, Cyanex 272 extractant (Cytec Industries Inc., 2008). https://www.cytec.com/sites/default/files/datasheets/CYANEX%20272%20Brochure.pdf. Accessed 20 July 2018.
- 15.M. Haslam and B. Arnall, ALTA 1999—Nickel/Cobalt Pressure Leaching & Hydrometallurgy Forum (Perth, 1999).Google Scholar
- 17.L. Bykhovsky and L. Tigunov, International Geological Congress (Oslo, 2008).Google Scholar
- 19.Cytec, Cyanex 923 extractant (Cytec Industries Inc., 2008). https://www.cytec.com/sites/default/files/datasheets/SPT-032-D.pdf. Accessed 23 April 2018.
- 20.V. Ribeiro and R. Santos, Breve Revisão Bibliográfica dos Processos de Lixiviação de Minérios e Concentrados de Terras-Raras (Rio de Janeiro: CETEM/MCTI, 2014), pp. 14–15.Google Scholar
- 22.G. Ritcey, Solvent Extraction: Principles and Applications to Process Metallurgy (Ottawa: Elsevier, 2006), pp. 51–75.Google Scholar
- 23.V. Kislik, Solvent Extraction: Classical and Novel Approaches, 1st ed. (Amsterdam: Elsevier, 2012), pp. 323–326.Google Scholar
- 24.R. Vickery, J. Chem. Soc. 0, 3113 (1956).Google Scholar