Recent Advancements in Self-Healing Metallic Materials and Self-Healing Metal Matrix Composites
- 38 Downloads
Engineered self-healing materials inspired by natural biological organisms that can repair damage are receiving increasing interest in recent years. Most studies have been focused on self-healing polymers, concretes, and ceramics. Self-healing metallic materials pose challenges due to the high temperatures used in manufacturing and the chemistries involved. This article summarizes and evaluates the self-healing mechanisms used in metallic materials and reviews recent studies into self-healing in aluminum, zinc, and Sn-Bi alloys. Generalizations about the various classifications are drawn from the review highlighting major hurdles in the widespread practical application of metallic self-healing materials, as well as the potential directions for future studies.
The author Dr. Volkan Kilicli is thankful to TÜBİTAK (The Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey). He has been supported by the BİDEB-2219 postdoctoral research scholarship program. The author Dr. Xiaojun Yan is thankful to Dalian University, China, for financial support as a visiting scholar.
- 1.S. van der Zwaag, Self Healing Materials: An Alternative Approach to 20 Centuries of Materials Science (Dordrecht: Springer, 2008), pp. 1–18.Google Scholar
- 2.S.K. Ghosh, Self-Healing Materials: Fundamentals, Design Strategies, and Applications (Veinheim: Wiley, 2009), pp. 1–28.Google Scholar
- 13.P.K. Rohatgi, A. Dorri, B.F. Schultz, and J. Ferguson, Paper presented at the 8th Pacific Rim International Congress on Advanced Materials and Processing (PRICM-8)-TMS 2013 Annual Meeting and Exhibition, Waikoloa, HI, TMS, 2013.Google Scholar
- 17.M.V. Manuel and G.B. Olson, Paper presented at the 1st International Conference on Self-Healing Materials, Noordwijik aan Zee, the Netherlands, 2007.Google Scholar
- 18.A.C. Ruzek, M.S. Thesis, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, 2009.Google Scholar
- 19.S.K. Misra, M.S. Thesis, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, 2013.Google Scholar
- 23.J. Martinez-Lucci, R. Amano, P. Rohatgi, and B. Schultz, Paper presented at the 3rd Energy Nanotechnology International Conference-ENIC2008, Jacksonville, FL, 2008.Google Scholar
- 24.J. Martinez-Lucci, R. Amano, P. Rohatgi, and B. Schultz, Paper presented at the ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, Boston, MA, ASME, 2008.Google Scholar
- 25.J. Martinez-Lucci, R. Amano, P. Rohatgi, B. Schultz, and A. Ruzek, Paper presented at the 7th International Energy Conversion Engineering Conference, Denver, CO, 2009.Google Scholar
- 26.J. Martinez-Lucci, A. Ruzek, S. Misra, P. Rohatgi, and R. Amano, Mod. Cast. 101, 24 (2011).Google Scholar
- 27.J. Martinez-Lucci, A. Ruzek, S.K. Misra, P.K. Rohatgi, and R.S. Amano, AFS Trans. 101, 187 (2011).Google Scholar
- 29.P.E. Leser, J.A. Newman, S.W. Smith, W.P. Leser, R.A. Wincheski, T.A. Wallace, E.H. Glaessgen, and R.S. Piascik, NASA Technical Reports Server-NTRS, 2014. https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/20140006911.pdf.
- 32.S. Hautakangas, H. Schut, S. van der Zwaag, P. Rivera Diaz del Castillo, and N. van Dijk, Paper presented at the 1st International Conference on Self Healing Materials, Noordwijk aan Zee, the Netherlands, Springer, 2007.Google Scholar
- 35.S. Van der Zwaag, Bull. Pol. Acad. Sci. Chem. 58, 227 (2010).Google Scholar
- 36.K.K. Alaneme and O.I. Omosule, J. Miner. Mater. Charact. Eng. 3, 1 (2014).Google Scholar
- 40.R. Djugum, R. Lumley, and I. Polmear, Paper presented at the 2nd International Conference on Self Healing Materials, Chicago, IL, 2009.Google Scholar
- 41.N. Shinya, J. Kyono, K. Laha, and C. Masuda, Paper presented at the 1st International Conference on Self-Healing Materials, Noordwijk aan Zee, the Netherlands, Springer, 2007.Google Scholar
- 43.M.V. Manuel, Ph.D. Dissertation, Northwestern University, 2007.Google Scholar
- 44.M. Clara Wright, M. Manuel, and T. Wallace, NASA Technical Reports Server-NTRS, 2013. https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/20140013299.pdf.
- 45.M. Manuel, Self-Healing Materials: Fundamentals, Design Strategies, and Applications, ed. S.K. Ghosh (Veinheim: Wiley, 2009), p. 251.Google Scholar
- 46.M. Wright, M. Manuel, T. Wallace, A. Newman, and K. Brinson, NASA Technical Reports Server-NTRS, 2015. https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/20150005789.pdf.
- 47.N. Salowitz, A. Correa, and A.D. Moghadam, Paper presented at the ASME 2017 Conference on Smart Materials, Adaptive Structures and Intelligent Systems, Snowbird, UT, 2017.Google Scholar
- 49.N.F. Kazakov, Diffusion Bonding of Materials (New York: Pergamon Press, 1981), pp. 157–169.Google Scholar
- 50.D.J. Stephenson, Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Diffusion Bonding (London: Cranfield Institute of Technology, 1990).Google Scholar