Forming Quality Control of an AA5182-O Aluminum Alloy Engine Hood Inner Panel
- 31 Downloads
The poor formability of aluminum alloys at room temperature easily leads to quality defects such as ruptures, wrinkles and excessive springback after forming, which severely restricts their wide application in the automotive industry. In this article, a combination of springback compensation and process parameter optimization is proposed to improve the forming quality of aluminum alloy auto body panels. First, the springback compensation for the tooling setting was conducted using the global shape modeling (GSM) function in ThinkDesign to ensure the desired dimensional quality of the hood. Then, the process parameter optimization was conducted based on the combination of a back-propagation (BP) neural network and genetic algorithm (GA) method to improve formability. After springback compensation and process parameter optimization, the obtained product could satisfy the matching requirements well. A case study of an AA5182-O aluminum alloy engine hood inner panel is presented. The experiments demonstrate that the combination of the springback compensation and the optimization scheme based on the BP neural network and GA can effectively improve the product’s forming quality.
This work is financially supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (U1564202), the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant Nos. 51405358 and 51775397), the 111 Project (B17034), the Innovative Research Team Development Program of Ministry of Education of China (IRT13087) and the Young and Middle-aged Science and Technology Innovation Team Project of Hubei Province (T201629). The authors express their sincere appreciation.
- 2.X. Xu, L. Zhan, and M. Huang, Am. Inst. Phys. Conf. Ser. 1567, 732 (2013).Google Scholar
- 6.C.A. Ungureanu, S. Das and I.S. Jawahir, in Aluminium Alloys for Transportation, 2007.Google Scholar
- 7.J. Liu, H. Gao, O.E. Fakir, L. Wang and J. Lin, in MATEC Web of Conferences, 2015.Google Scholar
- 13.L. Ju, T. Mao, J. Malpica, and T. Altan, J. Manuf. Sci. E.-T. ASME 137, 1 (2015).Google Scholar
- 21.H. Xiao, Forming Analysis and Springback Controlling of Automotive Structural Part Using AHSS (Jinan: Shandong University, 2015) (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- 26.G. Ma and B. Huang, J. Appl. Math. 2014, 1 (2014).Google Scholar