Small-Scale Mechanical Testing on Proton Beam-Irradiated 304 SS from Room Temperature to Reactor Operation Temperature
- 325 Downloads
Austenitic stainless steels are common structural components in light water reactors. Because reactor components are subjected to harsh conditions such as high operating temperatures and neutron radiation, they can undergo irradiation-induced embrittlement and related failure, which compromises reliable operation. Small-scale mechanical testing has seen widespread use as a testing method for both ion- and reactor-irradiated materials because it allows access to the mechanical properties of the ion beam-irradiated region, and for safe handling of a small amount of activated material. In this study, nanoindentation and microcompression testing were performed on unirradiated and 10 dpa proton-irradiated 304 SS, from 25°C to 300°C. Increases in yield stress (YS), critical resolved shear stress (CRSS) and hardness (H) were seen in the irradiated region relative to the unirradiated region. Relationships between H, YS, and CRSS of irradiated and unirradiated materials are discussed over this temperature range.
KeywordsCritical Resolve Shear Stress Irradiate Material Irradiate Region Misalignment Angle Light Water Reactor
We acknowledge EPRI for funding, the University of Michigan for irradiating samples, DOE-NEUP for providing partial funding, the NRC for funding equipment, and the BNC for making the FIB available for this research.
- 1.G.S. Was, Trans. Am. Nucl. Soc. 98, 1023 (2008).Google Scholar
- 7.J.P. Ligda, Q. Wei, W.N. Sharpe, and B.E. Schuster, Dynamic Behavior of Materials, 2014th ed. (New York: Springer, 2013), p. 427.Google Scholar
- 9.J.M. Wheeler, D.E.J. Armstrong, W. Heinz, and R. Schwaiger, Curr. Opin. Solid State Mater. Sci. 2015.Google Scholar
- 14.J.F. Ziegler and J.P. Biersack, SRIM Program (Yorktown, NY: IBM Corp., 2008).Google Scholar
- 23.304/304L Stainless Steel Production Data Bulletin (AK Steel Corporation 2013). http://www.aksteel.com/pdf/markets_products/stainless/austenitic/304_304l_data_bulletin.pdf. Accessed 12 May 2015.
- 25.P. Hosemann, A. Reichard, A. Lupinacci, C. Howard, H. Vo, M.D. Abad, D. Kaoumi, and P. Chou, Proceedings of the 17th International Conference on Environmental Degradation of Materials in Nuclear Power Systems—Water Reactors (2015).Google Scholar
- 27.D.J. Edwards, A. Schemer-Kohrn, and S. Bruemmer, Characterization of Neutron-Irradiated 300-Series Stainless Steels (Palo Alto, CA: EPRI, 2006).Google Scholar