Tuning the Magnetic Properties of Cobalt-Based Metallic Glass Nanocomposites
- 289 Downloads
Temperature-induced variation in magnetic properties for cobalt-based metallic glass was investigated. The formation of metastable nanocrystalline phases prior to complete devitrification and their effect on magnetic properties for Co72B19.2Si4.8Cr4 metallic glass was studied. The nature, shape, and distribution of the intermediate nanocrystalline phases were characterized using transmission electron microscopy and x-ray diffraction. A drastic change in magnetic properties was found in going from a fully amorphous state to different stages of nanocrystallization. The coercivity changes from amorphous soft magnetic state (H c ~ 0.12 Oe) to a nanocrystalline-dispersed hard magnetic state (H c ~ 187 Oe), with no significant change in saturation magnetization. This suggests potential use in futuristic magnetic switches, fluxgate sensors, and electromagnetic shielding devices.
KeywordsSaturation Magnetization Metallic Glass Magnetic Loss Remnant Magnetization Supercooled Liquid Region
SM would like to acknowledge partial support from his UNT start-up. JH acknowledges partial support by Korea Institute of Science and Technology (KIST) institutional program for this work.
- 2.L.C. de Carvalho Benyosef, G.C. Stael, and M. Bochner, Mater. Res.-Ibero-Am. J. Mater. 11, 145 (2008).Google Scholar
- 6.J. Wang, R. Li, R. Xiao, T. Xu, Y. Li, Z. Liu, L. Huang, N. Hua, G. Li, Y. Li, and T. Zhang, Appl. Phys. Lett. 99, (2011).Google Scholar
- 10.M. Tejedor, B. Hernando, and M.L. Sánchez, J. Magn. Magn. Mater. 140–144, 349 (1995).Google Scholar
- 14.W.H. Wang, M.X. Pan, D.Q. Zhao, Y. Hu, and H.Y. Bai, J. Phys. 16, 3719 (2004).Google Scholar
- 19.X. Colin Tong, Advanced Materials and Design for Electromagnetic Interference Shielding (Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press, 2008), pp. 293–313.Google Scholar
- 20.K.H.J. Buschow, Boron and Refractory Borides, ed. V. Matkovich (Berlin: Springer, 1977), pp. 494–515.Google Scholar
- 22.M. Ghafari, H. Hahn, H. Gleiter, Y. Sakurai, M. Itou, and S. Kamali, Appl. Phys. Lett. 101 (2012).Google Scholar
- 23.M.H. Phan, V. Franco, A. Chaturvedi, S. Stefanoski, G.S. Nolas, and H. Srikanth, Phys. Rev. B 84 (2011).Google Scholar
- 24.D. Ding, K. Bai, W.D. Song, L.P. Shi, R. Zhao, R. Ji, M. Sullivan, and P. Wu, Phys. Rev. B 84 (2011).Google Scholar